Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2003, 05:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yellow Tang... white Spots

I just got a yellow tang on wednesday. She seemed to acclimate fine. I used the drip method for about a little over an hour till salinity and temp matched up. She has been swimming and eating ever since.

Today...as I was staring at her... I noticed on one fin two white spots. I've seen this before in my FW tank and I suspect it's ich.

What do I do?!?

PS. I have a hospital tank up and running because my Percula has some kind of growth on his face... I'm treating that with Cupramine copper buffered treatment. I just started that today. But the Tang is in my main tank with LR.

Old 06-07-2003, 05:18 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Feed your tang food soaked in garlic juice. Do this on a continual basis for a few weeks even after you no longer see the spots.

One thing that is important is to not jump the gun. It could be the start of ICH or it could just be two spots. The garlic treatment can be started right away while you continue to make your observations.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 05:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Special garlic juice? or can I get this from the store? And...these spots weren't there on Wednesday...Plus, she eats the mysis and brine (frozen) that i feed as well as sinking morsels.... No problem with soaking these I guess...

1) what happens if I see more spots in the next few days?

2) will the garlic soaked food affect the other fish? (Flasher wrasse, Percula clown, Royal Gramma & Scooter Blenny)
Old 06-07-2003, 05:30 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Garlic juice from the grocery store. Garlic water from a whole clove of garlic that you have put thru a garilc press. What is ideal is something with as little extra stuff in there as possible.

Tangs really need a staple diet of algae. Soak the mysis and brine in the garlic. This way they can absorb some of it.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks...I'm off to the store right now...

But, FYI... I also leave Sea Salad seaweed in the tank and I bought some algae plants, plus there stuff she picks off teh rocks... So, she has everything she needs...but I will get the garlic and soak the shrimp, mysis and seaweed...and see what happens..
Old 06-07-2003, 06:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay... I'm back... soaked the food and the seaweed... She ate up most of it with some help from those other greedy little.... Anyway... I can guess that she's attracted to the scent of the garlic, but does garlic have some magic immune restoration powers?
Old 06-07-2003, 07:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Let us know how it turns out! What did you end up buying, just regular garlic juice?
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 07:59 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

The use of garlic is an item that has no real scientific proof that it works but let me tell you there are many a hobbists that will say it does work.

Some say that the garlic increases the fish's appitite and thus increasees their imune system as a result. Others say the garlic gets into the fish's body and they secreet it and the parasite releases its hold on the fish and falls off. since the parasite needs a host in that stage of its life it dies.

Old 06-07-2003, 08:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

It was hard to find... people in the store acted like it didn't exist...then some little old lady showed it to me in the Herb section. It contains garlic, vinegar and salt. There was only one to choose from.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:03 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Can you gewt a pic of the clowns face? Copper isn't going to do anything for it, btw.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan, tang, white spots, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com