Yellow tang with black ick.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well i don't know, it's not anywhere on the carpet, unless my 5-month beagle got to it before i did. I tried to check the sump and the line yesterday, but no luck. I'll doublecheck when i get home. Sucks because i really liked the fish. I'm still hoping that it buried itself really deep and taht's why i missed it, and hopefully i didn't crush it yesterday by moving all the rocks. It's gonna suck if i have to remove all the fish and the wrasse ends up being hidden somewhere that i can't see. It's driving me nuts, lol.

It took me two days to find my wrasse when I first put him in the tank. I was worried he'd jumped and my cat had gotten him first. When I moved him into a different tank, I had to remove half the sand before I found him, and the only way then was I saw him dig into one section of the sand.

Wrasses will hide anywhere they can if they're stressed. If your tank has ich and you're removing rocks looking for him, i'm sure he's hidden somewhere.

Yeah i will. I'm so used to freshwater, didn't think about this when i decided to go saltwater. Well after the freshwater bath to my tang the black spots are gone, but i know they will come back. Now, it has a single tiny white spot on the tail. I'll keep an good eye on it to see if it develops more.

update and question

My fish are doing okay in the quaranting tank they are in the third week.
Question is: aren't shrimp immune to black ich. I have two clearner shrimp and i noticed that one of them maybe even both have black spots.

Good question. I believe that it's a fish only disease but you will have to wait for another person to answer that one.

Thanks Miike, what about the shrimp catching it. I don't think so but maybe you could shine some light on that.

If his eating fine, And going about his normal behaviour, Just leave it be. Catching him and doing all the sort of stuff can lead him to stress out major and die. Tangs are real stress heads.

If you see other things starting to get black ich, Then maybe do something about it, But as i said, If his normal and everything else is. It might just go away itself.

Parasites don't just go away unless the animal is dieing, in which they have moved to better feeding grounds. If an animal has a parasite it is already compromised and stressed so the "stress factor" is moot. Fish to fish transmission has a 24hr time interval, give or take, and the reproduction rates of black ich is, well...quite intense.

well basically i knew the yellow tang had black ich and i gave it fresh water dips like four times but it kept on getting them back. No other fish in the tank got it at any point. I did research and found out that i needed to leave the main tank without fish for a minimun of four weeks. I was certain that interbrates were not affected by black ich, so i left them in the main tank. I quarantined all the fish after a formalin bath and a freshwater dip almost three weeks ago. I never bothered to check the display tank after i took the fish out because i didn't think anyone else would be affected and i just wanted the four weeks to go by. Now it turns out that my two clearner shrimp might have it as well and therefore the parasite is still in my tank and the past three weeks of quarantine have been useless.
I will keep on doing research to find out if the shrimp might have anything else besides the black ich. My quarantine tank is overstocked at this point and i do not want to keep all those fish in there anylonger.

From Mikes link on black ich, it has a 6 month period before it dies without a host not 4 weeks.

Yes, "white" spot (ICH) is a parasite and dies without a host in 4-6 wks.
"Black" spot is a Flat worm and dies without a host in 6 months. Big difference...

I think leaving the tank fallow for 2-3 months is plenty as long as you gravel vacuum the substrate weekly or bi/weekly. A Formalin bath followed by a 5-10min fw dip before putting in qt. How long can black ich survive without a host? Dunno, but either does the article. It just states that it can survive for "several" months without a host meaning more than 2 months, but not necessarily more either. Noga states that some strains of Cryptocaryon "theronts requires that aquaria be left without fish for at least 3 months to be rid of the parasite." I guess what to take from this is you always qt your animals because strains of parasites and diseases always seem to find another way to baffle us just when you think you have them cornered.

Back
Top Bottom