Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 161
Yellow tang with black ick.

I have a yellow tang in a 90 gallong tank. I noticed about 5 days ago that the tang had black spots on it's body, which have slightly increased since. I have 5 other fish in the tank that do not have any black spots.
I did some research on how to treat. Fresh water bath and formalin. I also read about Hyposalinity treatment.
I don't have a QT tank and i can't get one any time soon.
How can i treat the ick an remove it by doing the treatment in the main tank. I have 100 pounds of live rock. I also have 5 mexican turbo snails and about 7 hermit crabs.

It would be a pain to catch the tang for freshwater baths, but even that wouldn't cure it right away. Would formalin treatment in the main tank not be good for my fish, interbrates and live rock? Would hyposalinity be bad for my snails and hermits?
__________________

__________________
solidsnakejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Thanx but no.....


 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,333
Short answer is you probably can't. You can try raising the temp to 88-89 but that just helps the ich move quicker through it's lifecycle. You could hypo the main I guess but that will be tons of work. If you can't QT them you are in for a long tough road.

Your inverts won't survive cooper nor hypo (maybe). Dipping would possibly help the fish but the display remains infected. You should QT all the fish and treat in the QT and leave the display without fish (fallow) for 4 weeks? (I forget the timeframe offhand).

Qt-ing before putting fish in the display is the recommended way to avoid where you're at now.
__________________

__________________
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Short answer is you probably can't. You can try raising the temp to 88-89 but that just helps the ich move quicker through it's lifecycle. You could hypo the main I guess but that will be tons of work. If you can't QT them you are in for a long tough road.

Your inverts won't survive cooper nor hypo (maybe). Dipping would possibly help the fish but the display remains infected. You should QT all the fish and treat in the QT and leave the display without fish (fallow) for 4 weeks? (I forget the timeframe offhand).

Qt-ing before putting fish in the display is the recommended way to avoid where you're at now.

If i Hypo the main, do i have to make the drastic change in salinity right away or can i do it slowly. Reason i am asking is because i have to wait for my RO/DI water to be produced. Also if i do do a drastic change will my fish survive it? And my PH in the Display is 8.2, but my ro/di water is 7.4, do i buy something from the LFS to raise it to match my display?
__________________
solidsnakejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,249
IMO you cant treat the main. You need to QT the fish and treat. I dont encourage FW dips esp. in this case as captain said all you are going to do is reintroduce it back into the tank. Any inverts in the tank and LR will be lost if you treat the main. JMO.
__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
IMO you cant treat the main. You need to QT the fish and treat. I dont encourage FW dips esp. in this case as captain said all you are going to do is reintroduce it back into the tank. Any inverts in the tank and LR will be lost if you treat the main. JMO.

So my best case scenario is to do Hypo to the main tank. Seems like i will lose my inverts, but not the live rock right.

Also if i do quarantine the fish, is it just the tang or all of them? and wouldn't i be putting them back into the main tank anyway once the treatment is done. Since i wouldn't treat the main in order not to lose the live rock.
__________________
solidsnakejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,249
NO IMO you need to treat hypo in a QT. You`ll need to keep the main fishless for 6-8 weeks to break the life cycle of the parasite.
__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
NO IMO you need to treat hypo in a QT. You`ll need to keep the main fishless for 6-8 weeks to break the life cycle of the parasite.
If i hypo the main, would i lose the LR?
__________________
solidsnakejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
is back to save the day!
 
Zer0's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,194
They repeated it multiple times, that treating anything in the main tank would kill mostly everything you have in there. Whether it be copper or hypo. Your inverts and LR would die from the copper treatment and the hypo treatment. Your best bet now, is to use a QT if you want to save anything at all.. If your content with losing everything in your tank besides the fish.. then that's up to you.. but you would be losing everything you've gained in that tank. Nothing in that tank besides the fish are affected by the ich parasite.. so for you to go and destroy the entire tank, just because you are too lazy to QT your fish.. or just don't want to.. would be very irresponsible and a complete waste IMO. I've seen it done before multiple times and its a very sad story.
__________________
Thanks.
-Kevin
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
They repeated it multiple times, that treating anything in the main tank would kill mostly everything you have in there. Whether it be copper or hypo. Your inverts and LR would die from the copper treatment and the hypo treatment. Your best bet now, is to use a QT if you want to save anything at all.. If your content with losing everything in your tank besides the fish.. then that's up to you.. but you would be losing everything you've gained in that tank. Nothing in that tank besides the fish are affected by the ich parasite.. so for you to go and destroy the entire tank, just because you are too lazy to QT your fish.. or just don't want to.. would be very irresponsible and a complete waste IMO. I've seen it done before multiple times and its a very sad story.

That's exactly why i am doing my research so i take the best case scenario option. I don't wanna lose what i have in the tank at all specially the live rock. so what do you think is best.

1. Move the fish to a 30 gallon container and put a heater/powerhead in there and a HOB filter and Hypo them there.

2. Move all the live rock to the container along with the crabs and snails and some of the sand. and treat the fish in the main tank. If i take this option should i live the bioballs in the main or move some or all of them to the container with the live rock so taht they bacteria doesn't die.
__________________
solidsnakejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,249
Option 1 by far.
__________________

__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ick, tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black ich on yellow tang gone is this possible? weekf Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 3 10-31-2006 11:35 AM
Black ich on yellow tang? havefun Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 6 01-27-2006 12:11 PM
Yellow Tang with black spots regaltang Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 2 02-12-2004 02:01 AM
Black Ick on Yellow Tang Boxster Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 3 02-10-2004 02:04 AM
black spots on yellow tang Smonkey15 Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 1 09-24-2003 07:45 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.