Yellow Tang with red splotch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a yellow tang in quarantien and tonight I noticed a red region on what I would call her forehead. It is the area above and between her two eyes.

It looks sort of like a sunburn. Very red (the picture only hints at how red), but she is eating just fine. She has been in there for 11 days with no trouble. All water parameters are perfect.

I had been feeding her nori which she loved, and then I switched to Sprirulina flakes to see if she would take those, and stopped the nori. She has been on flakes for about 5 days.

I just gave her some nori thinking it might be malnutrituion.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Todd

Could be, the fish is very skinny, it may be that it is not getting enough. Tangs are fat fish, they are constant grazers and need a constant supply of food.

Thanks for this, Kevin. I was afraid this is what it might be.

I'm planning a trip out of town for 4 days and was trying to think of a way to feed her (Linda the Tang) while I was gone and that is why I tried out the Spirulna flakes.

Any advice on how to feed a tang when you will be gone for 4 days?

Thanks!

Todd

Go to petco or petsmart and buy a cheapo automatic feeder. Alot of people will attest that they don't last for long, but it should be okay for 4 days, especially if its brand new, just try it out for a night or two first.

-Dan

But what do I put in it? Spirulina flakes or little pieces of nori?

That is my big question - what do I feed her while I'm out?

Thanks,
Todd

I would generally stick to flakes, the nori could go bad, i'm pretty sure they come in air sealed packages and could possibly go bad, especially in the very humid environment directly above the tank (where the feeder would go).

-Dan

Back
Top Bottom