yellow tang with small black spots. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbseven

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My yellow tang has small black spots all over him. I have a tang, clownfish and a Bangaii Cardinal. And on my live rock I have about 6 "blue legged crabs" and I have noticed a great deal of worms in the rock. One large orange one with spike and black and tan small striped ones. What should I do without killing my inverts.. I dont have a qt tank. Ive had the tang for 3 month and he was the last fish I added.

Can you get a pic? Are the spots dark red or black?
If black you probably have Black Ich.
You can treat with formalin bath, but you will need a QT, any chance you can set one up? If the tank does not stay fallow for 6-8 weeks, you will continue to have the problem, and they might get your other fish.
Young worms live in the substrate and feed on detritus and organic debris until such time they mature and go in search of a fish host. By siphoning up excess organic matter that can build up on the bottom of the aquarium can help to control their numbers.

I`m trying to find it but with no success yet but there is a black tubular parasite that will attack the yellow tang. For now PWC`s and healthy herbal diet to cause stress to disapate. Hopefully I will find the name and cure or someone else will. Hold tight.

I just bought a qt tank. Should I fill it with new salt water or use some from my main (wont it just spread to my new tank). Will I need to wait for a cycle on my qt tank. They are black spots.

cbseven said:
Should I fill it with new salt water or use some from my main (wont it just spread to my new tank). Will I need to wait for a cycle on my qt tank. They are black spots.
... now I just need to know this... Thanks for the help.

You can use the water from your main, even use some of the media to shorten the cycle. Have any sponges you can throw into the QT to seed it? I wouldn't worry about the disease following the fish, since we are going to try to knock it out in the QT.

Also if you use the same water from main it will be less stress on the fish as the water parameters will be the same. This sounds like a good case for the UV light as it will kill free floaters in your main that get drawn into the chamber. Also as you saw on that treatment link I sent you that this is not so deadly as whitespot disease but still can be if out of control. Make sure of all stress factors including good greens for your tang soaked in garlic.

Back
Top Bottom