Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2005, 05:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

do they reproduce alot like freshwater snails?

Old 06-30-2005, 06:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, no worries there.

Old 06-30-2005, 07:14 PM   #13

now for some reason my bi color angel seems to be on the verge of dying?? he is swimming weird.. and kinda floating.. then swimming??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0183_234.jpg (173.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg dscf0182.jpg (175.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 06-30-2005, 08:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like water quality issues. Have you tested your water for ammonia and nitrites recently?
Old 06-30-2005, 08:08 PM   #15

I tested them last night.. everything "was" fine... I will go test them again and then be back in 20 min(because the ammonia test takes 20 min) and let you know the reading
Old 06-30-2005, 08:29 PM   #16

The levels are:

PH: 8.0-8.5
Nitrite: not quite 0.3mg/L
Nitrate: between 5-10 mg/L(closer to 5)
Ammonia: Approx 0
Old 07-01-2005, 09:47 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

hmmm i'm a little concerned that you see any nitrite levels at all. Nitrite is one of the more toxic left overs from waste. You mentioned your tank is 3-4 months old. Tell us a little about your cycle. How long it took, how you cycled it and what the readings were (as you best remember).

Also, tell us how you acclimated these new fish to the tank.

((I'm going to move this to the SW Sick-Fish forum to get a little more exposure for you))
Old 07-01-2005, 10:01 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Also, something that "never hurts" is a partial water change. get some RO water ready to mix as new salt water and do a 5 or 10 gallon water change (you said a 75 gallon tank right?). This could help aleaviate whatever is in the water chemistry that causing them stress. (when was your last water change?)
Old 07-01-2005, 02:07 PM   #19

The nitrites I am seeing may even be none.. it's just the reading of the test.. it's not 100% clear.. ya know??? and as far as cycling the tank.. it took me about 2 months or so to cycle the tank with 5 damsels. I had the water tested once a month by the pet shop who assisted me with setting everything up. I just did a water change about 1 week or so of approx 10 gal. the reading through out the cycle we perfect.. as a matter of fact the pet shop said it's the best he has seen in a while with cycleing because my ph was perfect and my ammonia didn't even rise like he had expected. and after I changed the water the levels were still in good order nothing spiked or anything like that.. the salinty has always been around 0.22-.024 never changing at all... any other information you would please let me know. Thanks in advance
Old 07-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I had the water tested once a month by the pet shop who assisted me with setting everything up. I just did a water change about 1 week or so of approx 10 gal. the reading through out the cycle we perfect..
I'm not sure if I'm reading that right, but are you saying you did a 10 gallon water change once a week while cycling? Or that you just did a 10 gallon water change about a week ago?

if you did that large of a water change every week during your cycle, you might not have really gottan enough bacteria to form, and you're getting a cycle again now with the new fish. Have you taken the damsels out after the cycle? Was the tank fallow (no fish) for a whiel between the damsels and the new fish?

just still gathering info...

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com