Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2005, 05:21 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

but the tang seems to be doing good now?

Old 07-02-2005, 01:51 PM   #32
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph34r3d
so I shouldn't be adding ph buffer to the water??
Definately not without good reason. Buffer continously added via top offs will raise alkalinity to dangerous levels. If you are doing so for a pH problem, don't. Buffers and the like are bandaids for such problems, they do not fix them and they usually end up making it worse.

Do you know your alk level?

Quote:
but the tang seems to be doing good now?
More than possible it adapted better then the angel or there was some sort of unidentified malady affecting the angel. In either case, lets hope the tang remains strong and healthy.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-02-2005, 08:47 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I wad told by the pet shop I should add the buffer to my evap water to make sure the ph is at 8.3 or whatever when adding the water? so that is not good?? the tang is def. healthy from what I can see.. I think the orginal color change was just maybe some stress from the damsels.. or new environment.. he seems to be perfect now. I also bought that seaweed like fluff had suggested and they all seemed to love it. I also got flake food. would it hurt to switch between flakes and shrimp brine daily? I am also in the process of getting new water ready for a 5-10 gal. water change again? and that darn brown algea... it's getting worse... could it be the type of light? length of time? I know fluff said to get snails.. but I also hear that snails don't generally eat brown algea, they normally eat green? or will some eat both?
Old 07-02-2005, 09:01 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

The brown is probably diatoms. I don't remember if you said how old the tank was but diatoms are just one of the nuisances of a newly established tank and is normally only temporary. Adding a clean up crew should help some. As for the brine. If you do decide to feed that ever other day, try soaking them in a good vitamin supplement like Zoe first.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:59 PM   #35
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph34r3d
I wad told by the pet shop I should add the buffer to my evap water to make sure the ph is at 8.3 or whatever when adding the water? so that is not good??
It's not necessary and as I said can lead to problems, stop adding buffer. The one thing you need to remember above all others when it comes to any type of additive is never add anything to the tank without being able to properly test for it first.

Buffers impact both pH and alkalinity equally. pH depending on the product used will stabalize/lower over time. Alkalinity will continue to increase with each addition. Buffers should be used to maintain alkalinity thereby helping to prevent changes in pH, buffer should not be used to maintain pH.

Please post your morning pH and evening pH readings as well as alk if you have the kit. Be sure you have not made any recent buffer additions (within the last 12 hrs) for more accurate results.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com