Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2005, 07:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yellow tang with white underbody

I am a beginner to saltwater. I added a yellow tang to my tank about 3-4 days ago. The tang was bright yellow all over. Now last night I took notice that the tang is forming a white underbody? I did some water tests with salinity which is at 1.023 and a ph test which is about 8.0-8.5( according to the chart) any ideas as to why the tang would turn white like that? I also have base rock which is white maybe it's adapting to it's surroundings?? any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 06-28-2005, 08:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If he's displaying this after lights out, it's normal. Alot of fish show faded colors at night. If he's doing it during the lighted hours, he could be stress. In that case we would need a bit more info on your setup. Size tank? Tank mates? How about other tests? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrates?

Old 06-28-2005, 11:34 AM   #3

he did this during light hours.. but this morning when I woke up he was just fine when I turned the lights on? the tank is 75 gal. tank mates are 1 blue damsel, 2 striped damsels, 2 yellow damsels, 1 bi color angel and 1 chocolate chip star fish, with some live rock. I didn't get the nitrate, nitrite or amonnia levels yet, I will do that when I get home tonight... but he swims just fine?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If he's fine today, then he could have just been a bit stressed from being moved around.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:37 PM   #5

he seems to be turning white like every day??? then in the morning he is fine? the nitrites and the nitrates are all fine.. and the ammonia is 0 or below... any other idea's??? also, is there a way to help reduce the amount of brown algea in the tank?
Old 06-30-2005, 04:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is it possible to post a picture? What else is in the tank with him?
For the diatoms, do you have enough snails? Hermit crabs will help with that as well.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:23 PM   #7

a picture of the tang??? or the algea?? I don't have any snails?? how many should I add in a 75 gallon tank? also this tank is 3-4 months along... would that make a difference???
Old 06-30-2005, 05:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, a picture of the tang.
You should get some snails. I would get 20 of either astrea, margarita or turbo snails or a mix. I'd also get about 15-20 nassarius for your sand bed. I'm sure that will help alot. If after some time they don't seem to make any progress, add a few more.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:45 PM   #9

I can try to get a picture of the tang today when I go home.. should I add all those snails at once?? or just like 4-5 at a time? what is a good price for the snails?
Old 06-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

They can be added all at once. Price depends on your area. I get mine for 1-2 bucks a piece.

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com