YT dieng i think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian Vartanian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
for the past couple days i have been noticing my yellow tangs stomach slowy get bigger, now its at least twice its normal size. this afternoon i saw a red liesion or spot on his skin. he hides under rocks most of the time, when he comes out he cannot swim he does almost summer salts and cant seem to stop. i have no idea what could be wrong. his diet consists of this frozen omnivorous food with algae and brine shrimp, and i put seaweed in ever other day

Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and salinity. Please post results.

Have you witnessed this fish pooping?

If you can...place the fish in a bucket of tank water, put stress coat on your hands and feel the tang's stomach. Is it hard? Is it soft? Gently but firmly apply a little pressure as you run two fingers (one on both sides of the belly) down toward the anal opening. Does anything try to come out? If so, what does it look like?

The tang should go into a QT ASAP and treat with an antibacterial/antibiotic medication. For the hell of it to see if it works...offer the tang some thawed out frozen peas taken out from the shell. The shells of peas are hard for the fish to break open. If the fish is constipated, the peas should act as a laxative. If the tang isn't constipated...it's a welcomed treat. In other words...don't hurt to try.

well fist off the tang is dead he got stuck to the filter when i was out at the store. 2ndly that stumach thing is really bad for the fish, i had a foxface with the englarde stumach and when i tried it he died within hours, and i barley put any pressure at all. there are delacte organs in his stumach like his bladder, idk if its worked for you just a little warning to save u some pain, lol

my salinity was 1.21
amonia = like 2ppm
nitrate is betwen 5 and 10ppm
nitirite= o
ph 8.2-8.3

Your profile only lists a FW tank. How long has this SW tank been set up?
Did you complete the cycle?
I ask because any detectable ammonia is too much and you listing 2ppm. I don't think that is the cause of the YT's demise, but you should probably start doing some PWC's to get the ammonia down.
What else is in this tank?

There are no organs in the stomach and the bladder is located behind the anal opening. Feeling the stomach is a means of examining the fish...just as a vet or doctor would do. Anykind of blockage in the digestive system can prevent the animal from eliminating waste and lead to death...regardless of what is causing the blockage. Intestinal parasites, tumors, abcesses, and food are some of the more common causes of blockage. Some fish swallow stones that can be too big to pass and cause blockage. You could get adventurous and cut the fish open to see what that huge lump is.

On another note...something is causing the ammonia to rise a bit. Keep an eye on ammonia to make sure it is taken care of by the system's bio. If it continues to rise, then something is making the bio unbalanced and small frequent water changes will be needed and possibly bio additives to help the bio along.

Back
Top Bottom