Zebra moray eel lost color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmartin722

Aquarium Advice Activist
1. Aqueon 120 gallon
2. Led
3. Nitrate:10
4. Calcium:unknown
5. Phosphate:unknown
6. Alkalinity:unknown
7. pH:8.3
8. Salinity:1.023
9. Temperature:78
10. Liquid test kit
11. Location stays on sand
12. 3200 gph
13. Current tank dosing regimen: none
14. Nearby coral: zoa, star polyps
15. Explanation of problem: zebra eel has lost most of his color on his body. Almost pure white. Moving lot more than normal but hasn't been seen eating for about a month.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1448937115024.jpg
    1448937115024.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 128
Usually feed shrimp from grocery. My other eel is fine as are my fish.

The only changes I have made is moving the lr around and add some more. Upgraded my protein skimmer when mine went out for about 2 weeks.

Usually feed shrimp from grocery. My other eel is fine as are my fish.

I've mentioned this before in the forums, but feeding your fish food meant for human consumption really isn't that good of an idea as food meant for human consumption isn't processed or sterilized because the assumption is it will be cooked.
Food prepared specifically for fish feeding goes through various sterilization techniques to ensure there are no parasites in the food.
Feeding fresh raw shrimp/fish meant for humans is potentially a ticking parasite bomb for your fish.

Remember, when it comes to seafood, you should always assume there are parasites present because there usually are. ;)

All the shrimp has been frozen at one point or another. I keep at least a pound in my freezer at any given time just to feed my eels and fish. I separate into individual bag with 5 to 6 shrimp and use each for a week if they will take it I feed it to them if not its thrown out after the week and new bag unfrozen.

My lfs suggested to dose iodine to see if would help cure whatever is wrong. Does this sound possible? I don't currently dose anything or use any type of chemical product.

Iodine into the water column won't address what is ailing your eel. It is sick and isn't doing well for a reason. If it isn't parameters it can be either food like mentioned or if a rock possibly fell on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If a rock fell on it is there anything that I can do or add that would help?

Ok thanks. I'm going to try to do small 10 to 12 gallons water changes for the next few weeks to see if helps.

He died yesterday and after I removed him. He had lots of cuts and scrapes and appeared to be bleeding under the skin. There for I believe a rock must have fell on him when I combined my tanks.

One must be really careful with stuff like that. Eels can easily move rocks around. Sorry things went in that direction, an eel that big must have had several years under his belt.

He was my wife's favorite. We had him for almost 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom