Zoa issue- help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doaz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any idea what might be causing this?
This area was all packed full at one time.
Now some are not opening up and they seem to be reducing in numbers?
The bottom use to look just like the tops
Ph 8.0 Amonia 0-0.25 salinity 025

Thks for the help

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395088190.908131.jpg

Ooo good question
75 gal
1 Peppermint shrimp
1 brittle starfish
3 golbies
2 small clown
1 fire fish
1 yellow tang
2 blue chromis
1 sand shifting starfish
No annenome
Couple of snails

Thks
Kevin Baker

1st thing that looks off would be lighting, as they appear rather brown. 2nd would be that you have ammonia in your system

Ooo good question
75 gal
1 Peppermint shrimp
1 brittle starfish
3 golbies
2 small clown
1 fire fish
1 yellow tang
2 blue chromis
1 sand shifting starfish
No annenome
Couple of snails

Thks
Kevin Baker
hmm... have you seen the skunk cleaner climbing them. Mine will occasion start touching them and it makes em close. Though it is weird they are closed so much. definitelly go with bigred he helped me a tonne when i first had gotten started.

Thanks all
Lighting is a reefbright techled 50/50
They are actually brown from the day I got them so I guess that's their normal color and that hasn't changed

What are your params? Not just the ones you posted earlier, everything, nitrate phosphate alkalinity calcium magnesium? Are you using ro/di?

Ok
everything, nitrate phosphate alkalinity calcium magnesium? Are you using ro/di?

Ro/di Yes
Nitrate 0
Phos 0.25
Alk cal and mag ? Don't know

Why are they not all acting alike ?

Thks

Ok well phosphate is way to high, and zoas can be finicky corals I've had some melt on me for no reason while a different morph right next to them thrives

Thks
I'll try to get the phosphates down
Thks
Kevin Baker

Did you dip it first? I learned the hard way to dip and inspect my zoas for nudis. The dips will kill the adults, but you'll have to manually find and remove the eggs. They can decimate a nice looking colony like that pretty fast.

No I have not dipped
What do you dip in and what is the procedure?
I've never done it

Thks
Kevin Baker

Seachem makes a coral disinfectant. The dose is 5ml per gallon of removed tank water. I never remove that much, because you throw it out- not back in. Usually a container just big enough for the coral. 5-10min dip. A lot of copepods and amphipids will fall off too, but it also gets most baddies. If you find Nudibranchs, you'll have to inspect each polyp for eggs and remove manually.

I do this to all my frags. You'd be amazed what comes off! I even found a mantis once.

Back
Top Bottom