ZOAS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubbymac

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a small colony of zoas that seem to be shrinking. When i 1st got them they were doing great now it seems like they keep getting smaller and never open up. I have everything else in my tank is doing awesome except for thest. i have them about in the middle of my 29 biocube. My glove polyp is flourishing as is my mushroom. Maybe i have too much waterflow on them.

Or you might be like me, and just don't have any luck with zoanthids! Like you say... everything else I have is doing great. Even my Palythoas. But zoanthids?... any I get - no matter where I put them - have slowly withered away like you describe.

I have a biocube and mine flourish. I have them high and in the sand and they do great. Maybe it is something you cant have. I cant keep plate coral. They keep getting eaten. Once it was a peppermint shrimp then a hermit crab.

How did you aclimate them. If you got it from a LFS with different lighting from your's you need to move them up slowly so they get used to your lighting setup. They also like a little feeding once an awhile.

I feed my zoas adult brine shrimp soaked in a multi vitamin. I use Reef plus vitamin supplement by Seachem... You will be amased at how they eat the stuff.

One thing you might want to look for is something like flatworms, zoa pox or a nudibranch. I noticed you had peppermint shrimp on your list of your tank set up, some people have said their peppermint shrimp eat them. I started feeding my peppermint shrimp once I saw them stocking one of my little feather dusters.

i dont want so sound stupid but how do you feed them
I use either a turkey baster or a feeding tube I made from a ridged airline and a bulb of an ear irrigator.
img_1050858_0_9c482f9defb7c37d453fd093fbffac8a.jpg

img_1050858_1_a1468f6dd5e1b6e5ad604c8cf81d34a9.jpg

That is a great idea, no more wet salty armpits at feeding time.

Back
Top Bottom