Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2007, 04:30 AM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That is right...some like lower light and others higher light. I have the exact same zoo that you are having problems with and mine are about 2 inches off the sand bed. I have 570w of lighting too so it is pretty intense all the way to the bottom. Mine seem to be doing very well, I go them on Saturday so I'll let you know how they fair.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool...thanks Ziggy. I just hope I don't lose the whole colony...

Old 03-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you know what type of lighting they where under, and tank placement, before you bought them?
Old 03-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

I bought them from coralfanatics.com and it looks like they were under 250W and 400W metal halide radiums. I'm guessing that they have a large propagation tank setup so judging by most that I've seen, they probably were pretty close to the light. I did find that when I moved some reds that I bought from them up higher, they opened up better. But for some reason, I seem to think that the mean greens should be fine further down. Who knows...anyway, it's really frustrating because I probably only have 1/3 of the colony left from what you see in the pic in my first post of this thread. I did see a bunch of striped pods on the colony last night under the moonlights but as most people have said, they are just probably feeding on the already dying zoas. I'm running out of ideas and I may try to frag what's left to hopefully save a few zoas from whatever it is that is killing them. Argh!
Old 03-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is a big change in lighting. I'm not sure it was the cause of the issue, but it definitely did not help IMO. Keep water good, keep up on PWC's, and run some GAC until everything clears up to remove any toxins, etc. being released. You may want to also try moving them closer to the lighting. Good luck
Old 03-25-2007, 01:56 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks MT79. I'll definitely keep up with the PWC's and run some carbon. I also just built a little frag rack out of eggcrate which hangs near the top of the tank so I might put them up there for a bit. I know some of my reds didn't open up until I put them up there.

Tags
dyi, dying, zoas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com