Zoas are dying...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is right...some like lower light and others higher light. I have the exact same zoo that you are having problems with and mine are about 2 inches off the sand bed. I have 570w of lighting too so it is pretty intense all the way to the bottom. Mine seem to be doing very well, I go them on Saturday so I'll let you know how they fair.

I bought them from coralfanatics.com and it looks like they were under 250W and 400W metal halide radiums. I'm guessing that they have a large propagation tank setup so judging by most that I've seen, they probably were pretty close to the light. I did find that when I moved some reds that I bought from them up higher, they opened up better. But for some reason, I seem to think that the mean greens should be fine further down. Who knows...anyway, it's really frustrating because I probably only have 1/3 of the colony left from what you see in the pic in my first post of this thread. I did see a bunch of striped pods on the colony last night under the moonlights but as most people have said, they are just probably feeding on the already dying zoas. I'm running out of ideas and I may try to frag what's left to hopefully save a few zoas from whatever it is that is killing them. Argh!

That is a big change in lighting. I'm not sure it was the cause of the issue, but it definitely did not help IMO. Keep water good, keep up on PWC's, and run some GAC until everything clears up to remove any toxins, etc. being released. You may want to also try moving them closer to the lighting. Good luck

Thanks MT79. I'll definitely keep up with the PWC's and run some carbon. I also just built a little frag rack out of eggcrate which hangs near the top of the tank so I might put them up there for a bit. I know some of my reds didn't open up until I put them up there.

Back
Top Bottom