Zoas are dying...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DurTBear

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently purchased these zoas about 2-3 weeks ago and they have been doing find until this past week. I think something might be feeding on them but I don't know what. I don't see any nudis. But I see a lot of amphipods running around in them which causes them to close up. There is also that unknown crab that is living close to them which might be a prime suspect as well. I haven't had any success in catching him because he is so shy and never comes out. If you haven't read my old thread on this hitchhiker crab, here's the link:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=95571

Anyway, here is a pic of the zoas that are having problems. I've ruled out water conditions since all the readings are within the correct range and other zoas in my tank are fine. There are also a couple worm like things on the rock which might be spionid worms. They are thin and stringy and if you look closely in the pic, you can see an example on the top/right edge of the colony. Any suggestions?

img_785133_0_33d19b71acc9781b50674c0b70a83cfd.jpg

It doesn't really look from the pic that they are being eaten. Are they just closing up or do you see polyps gone that were there before? I had a damsel that wouldnt leave mine alone and I had to take all my Zoas out of my display and put them in another tank. I've since gotten the damsel out and have started putting them back in the display. There is a spider like critter that eats Zoos...check here http://www.melevsreef.com/id/pods.html

I'm talking about the 3rd one from the left on the second row. Have you seen one in your tank on your zoos?????

So I've been noticing polyps that are gone which were there before. I've even seen some that are just hanging by a thread as if it were a tree that was being eaten by a beaver at the base.

As for the spider-looking thing (isopod), I think I have seen things like that running around. I've definitely seen amphipods (the shrimp-looking things) running through the colony so maybe a fresh water dip is in order.

As for my water parameters, my SG is 1.025, pH 8.2, nitrate <5ppm, Ca 400+, ~12 dKH and temp usually around 78 degrees. Lately, it's actually been warmer so the temp has climbed to around 82 degrees sometimes (yikes!).

82 isn't so bad but going from 78 to 82 in a short period is. How long have you had them? Are the polyps that are "hanging by a thread" turning white, or are they just detaching from the rock? If they are turning white then they are dieing if they are just detaching form the rock then I would guess that something is pecking at them.

Water parameters are needed. They do look irritated, but not like they are dying. Try relocating them to an area with different light and flow and see if it helps. Hitch hikers could be the problem but it looks like it is more "unhappy" then being attacted.

I've had the zoas for about 3 weeks now. And the polyps that are "hanging by a thread" just detach from the rock as if they've been chewed at the base.

Sounds like they are dropping from the rock. Try a different location to see if things improve.

Yeah, I'll try that...I was going to do a fresh water dip tonight so I'll probably put them somewhere else in the tank.

FW dips do nothing but stress out an alreay stressed animal. They have poor results at best. Skip it and simply try to reposition.

Well...looks like I found the culprit. Saw a nudi crawling around on a piece of LR today but when I tried to get him, he blew away. Great...so now he is floating around looking for his next meal and I have no idea where he is. Any advice as to how to catch those guys?

When I look at your picture I dont see anything that looks like anything is eating them. They just look stressed. Water parameters ?

NH3, NO2, PO3? I know...sounds like we are being picky...just trying to rule out as much as we can.

Oh no, don't worry...any help is appreciated. Ammonia is 0 and nitrites are 0. I admittedly haven't tested for phosphates so I'm not sure what those levels are but I do weekly 10% water changes and don't dose. I also just turned my HOB Whisper filter into a refugium by putting some LR rubble and chaeto in it with a mini-aqualight above it.

The nudi could have been the problem..how did you attach the frag to your rockwork? I have some of the exact same zoos...the frag I got was growing on large bits of sand and crushed coral so when I went to attach it to a rock the base they were clinging to started to cumble causing 2 polyps to detach.....

I bought all those zoos which were growing on a small rock and when they seemed to be doing well on my sandbed, I used epoxy (more specifically, the Holdfast stuff) to attach it to my rockwork. It seems to work pretty well since I've used it to secure other zoos and branching corals like my hammers to my rockwork.

When you attached them to the rock did you get some of the epoxy on the polyps? Since you put them on the rock work how much higher in the tank are they? The more intense lighting could becausing part of the problem along with the nudi.

I'm pretty sure I didn't get any epoxy on the polyps but I guess I didn't think about that and it definitely could be a possibility. Also, I put them a few inches above the sandbed where they were originally. Maybe I should move them back as I've definitely noticed certain zoas like intense lighting and others don't. My radioactive dragon eyes love being at the bottom but I found that some reds (I think they might be ring of fires) that I just got haven't really opened up until I put them up near the top.

Back
Top Bottom