Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2007, 02:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Zoas are dying...

I recently purchased these zoas about 2-3 weeks ago and they have been doing find until this past week. I think something might be feeding on them but I don't know what. I don't see any nudis. But I see a lot of amphipods running around in them which causes them to close up. There is also that unknown crab that is living close to them which might be a prime suspect as well. I haven't had any success in catching him because he is so shy and never comes out. If you haven't read my old thread on this hitchhiker crab, here's the link:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=95571

Anyway, here is a pic of the zoas that are having problems. I've ruled out water conditions since all the readings are within the correct range and other zoas in my tank are fine. There are also a couple worm like things on the rock which might be spionid worms. They are thin and stringy and if you look closely in the pic, you can see an example on the top/right edge of the colony. Any suggestions?

Old 03-13-2007, 04:47 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

It doesn't really look from the pic that they are being eaten. Are they just closing up or do you see polyps gone that were there before? I had a damsel that wouldnt leave mine alone and I had to take all my Zoas out of my display and put them in another tank. I've since gotten the damsel out and have started putting them back in the display. There is a spider like critter that eats Zoos...check here http://www.melevsreef.com/id/pods.html

I'm talking about the 3rd one from the left on the second row. Have you seen one in your tank on your zoos?????

Old 03-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

What are your water parameters. Moved to sick coral forum.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

So I've been noticing polyps that are gone which were there before. I've even seen some that are just hanging by a thread as if it were a tree that was being eaten by a beaver at the base.

As for the spider-looking thing (isopod), I think I have seen things like that running around. I've definitely seen amphipods (the shrimp-looking things) running through the colony so maybe a fresh water dip is in order.

As for my water parameters, my SG is 1.025, pH 8.2, nitrate <5ppm, Ca 400+, ~12 dKH and temp usually around 78 degrees. Lately, it's actually been warmer so the temp has climbed to around 82 degrees sometimes (yikes!).
Old 03-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

82 isn't so bad but going from 78 to 82 in a short period is. How long have you had them? Are the polyps that are "hanging by a thread" turning white, or are they just detaching from the rock? If they are turning white then they are dieing if they are just detaching form the rock then I would guess that something is pecking at them.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Water parameters are needed. They do look irritated, but not like they are dying. Try relocating them to an area with different light and flow and see if it helps. Hitch hikers could be the problem but it looks like it is more "unhappy" then being attacted.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've had the zoas for about 3 weeks now. And the polyps that are "hanging by a thread" just detach from the rock as if they've been chewed at the base.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like they are dropping from the rock. Try a different location to see if things improve.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah, I'll try that...I was going to do a fresh water dip tonight so I'll probably put them somewhere else in the tank.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

FW dips do nothing but stress out an alreay stressed animal. They have poor results at best. Skip it and simply try to reposition.

Tags
dyi, dying, zoas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com