Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

Pretty sure they ingest the poison to store in their spines like poison dart frogs.
Exactly. Zoas are also toxic and can irritate peoples skin if they are touched too much. Foxface eats the zoas to have that same poison for protection, but a foxface sting is moch worse then irritation from zoas.
__________________

__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel

Exactly. Zoas are also toxic and can irritate peoples skin if they are touched too much. Foxface eats the zoas to have that same poison for protection, but a foxface sting is moch worse then irritation from zoas.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. People have nearly died from zoas palytoxins.
__________________

__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Keithhjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Looks like a fungus or something. Maybe take a toothbrush to it and rinse it off in some ro/di.
+1 on the advice. I would also follow up with a dip in some Revive.
__________________
Keithhjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

I wouldn't be so sure about that. People have nearly died from zoas palytoxins.
Must be a freak thing then, i never wear gloves when handeling zoas and i never have problems.... I havent been stung by my fox yet tho.. I would like to be so i could see how it feels.!
__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Jeremy S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel

Must be a freak thing then, i never wear gloves when handeling zoas and i never have problems.... I havent been stung by my fox yet tho.. I would like to be so i could see how it feels.!
Just because you haven't had an accident yet doesn't many anything. Many of the people who have suffered from paly toxins have been scientist and experienced. I always wear gloves when I work with my corals. I don't want to ever even think of taking the chance of losing my eye sight or worse.
__________________
Jeremy S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy S.

Just because you haven't had an accident yet doesn't many anything. Many of the people who have suffered from paly toxins have been scientist and experienced. I always wear gloves when I work with my corals. I don't want to ever even think of taking the chance of losing my eye sight or worse.
+1 any time I handle zoas/palys, move more then a piece or 2 of rock, and while removing chaeto, I will wear my gloves. People sometimes forget how dangerous some things are that we put in our tank and especially the ones that just hitch a ride in. I've read about 2 cases of a box jelly fish being in some live rock and those things pack one hell of a punch : /
__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Keithhjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,673
Read Anthony Calfo's "Book of Coral Propagation" and he describes three different events of getting poisoned from his Zoas. Keep in mind this is from an "expert" in the field and knows the danger yet still has managed to get poisoned. Never hurts to be cautious. Sorry to OP for the hijack
__________________

__________________
Keithhjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
branch, missing, nudibranch, zoas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.