Zoas missing, nudibranch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbsoluteFaye

Aquarium Advice Addict
So yesterday I received an online order of a bunch of stuff. I spent over $200 so they included a free random zoa rock. The rock is pretty big and its almost full covered in tiny zoas except this one area. It literally looked like a row was gone. No biggie, they were free. This morning there is another row gone, right next to the precious row. Literally looks like corn on the cob with how they were eaten. Could it be a nudibranch? If so what's the best way to get rid of it? Look through with tweezers? Freshwater dip? (I don't know how to do that). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image-1415513413.jpg
    image-1415513413.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 97
Do any skirts have bite marks? Should look like how a caterpillar would eat a leaf. If so then you need to QT incase of eggs because freshwater dips only kill the hatched nudis not their eggs.

I don't see bite marks. But I didn't realize that the area with the missing polyps is covered in white stuff. Like white looking algae.

Attachments

• image-3125762247.jpg
    image-3125762247.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 81
Could the foxface be eating them? I know they can and will eat them for the poison

The foxface came yesterday as well and the zoas already had a line of them missing before they went in the tank. What do you mean eat them for the poison?

The foxface is venomus. The spines on its back and on its underside are filled with poison. Dont get stung, it really wont feel good.

AbsoluteFaye said:
Oh no I know that. But what about eating zoas for poison? I don't understand.

Pretty sure they ingest the poison to store in their spines like poison dart frogs.

Mrc8858 said:
Pretty sure they ingest the poison to store in their spines like poison dart frogs.

Exactly. Zoas are also toxic and can irritate peoples skin if they are touched too much. Foxface eats the zoas to have that same poison for protection, but a foxface sting is moch worse then irritation from zoas.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Exactly. Zoas are also toxic and can irritate peoples skin if they are touched too much. Foxface eats the zoas to have that same poison for protection, but a foxface sting is moch worse then irritation from zoas.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. People have nearly died from zoas palytoxins.

Sniperhank said:
Looks like a fungus or something. Maybe take a toothbrush to it and rinse it off in some ro/di.

+1 on the advice. I would also follow up with a dip in some Revive.

Mrc8858 said:
I wouldn't be so sure about that. People have nearly died from zoas palytoxins.

Must be a freak thing then, i never wear gloves when handeling zoas and i never have problems.... I havent been stung by my fox yet tho.. I would like to be so i could see how it feels.!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Must be a freak thing then, i never wear gloves when handeling zoas and i never have problems.... I havent been stung by my fox yet tho.. I would like to be so i could see how it feels.!

Just because you haven't had an accident yet doesn't many anything. Many of the people who have suffered from paly toxins have been scientist and experienced. I always wear gloves when I work with my corals. I don't want to ever even think of taking the chance of losing my eye sight or worse.

Jeremy S. said:
Just because you haven't had an accident yet doesn't many anything. Many of the people who have suffered from paly toxins have been scientist and experienced. I always wear gloves when I work with my corals. I don't want to ever even think of taking the chance of losing my eye sight or worse.

+1 any time I handle zoas/palys, move more then a piece or 2 of rock, and while removing chaeto, I will wear my gloves. People sometimes forget how dangerous some things are that we put in our tank and especially the ones that just hitch a ride in. I've read about 2 cases of a box jelly fish being in some live rock and those things pack one hell of a punch : /

Read Anthony Calfo's "Book of Coral Propagation" and he describes three different events of getting poisoned from his Zoas. Keep in mind this is from an "expert" in the field and knows the danger yet still has managed to get poisoned. Never hurts to be cautious. Sorry to OP for the hijack :)

Back
Top Bottom