Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-17-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Zoas not looking too hot.....

I have had these green zoas for about 2 months....they have been doing fine, and looking great until the other day....Im not sure why but the ones exposed to direct light have shriveled up a little around the edges.

The ones on the side of the colony look fine, but the ones on the top look a little odd for some reason.

Could they be getting too much light?....I would say ok but I thought zoas liked high light, and they have been doing great under 9.6 WPG for the last 2 months in the same spot.

Params are:

no2 - 0
no3 - 0
nh3/4 - 0
ph - 8.4
Temp - 78.5*F

I am not sure what is happening to them....all the other corals in the tank are doing fine. I mean, they open but just look a little off when they are open.

I know zoas are hadry, should I just give them a few days and watch them?

Here are a couple pics....

This is what they usually look like...(dont worry, they are still the same color, I used a different flash!)

Here is a pic of the side of the colony, this is how they should look...

Here is the top, notice the difference?

Any input guys?

SeeDemTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

There is such a thing as light acclimation also, where you start'm low and raise'm after some time.

2 months and OK? I'm still kinda thinking that they are reacting negatively to the higher light. 96 watts seems an awful lot unless you're talking hard acros/hard corals or something. Just wondering how it could take 2 months to start reacting. Are they on the bottom of the tank already?

How are your phosphates?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
No worries they are back to normal, I think it had something to do with a close encounter with some wandering xenia.

I am worried about my other zoos, the pink ones, a section of them has not opened for 5 days, but all the zoos around them look fine!?!
SeeDemTails is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com