Zoas not opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammo2001

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. I'm having a problem with my zoos not opening. I think the problem is because I have quite a bit of hair algae in the tank for some reason. I have just started a treatment of algaefix which I hope is going to fix it. I'm not sure by I have the algae as I have 0 nitrates and phosphates. I do water changes often and even use a phosphate pad in my filter. This is kind of a last resort it get rid of it.
My other corals are fully open and thriving but my zoos just seem a bit sad. They also seem to have a fluffy collar around them which I think might be annoying a them and keeping them closed.

image-2996791599.jpg

Any idea what this is or how to fix my zoos?

I had a horrible hair algae outbreak for like 2 months. I added a phosphate reactor and large cleanup crew and it was gone in 2 days. My phosphates were reading zero when I had the problem so maybe your test is wrong. But what are your parameters and what kind of lighting do you have? Also what size tank?

Here is a snapshot of my last water test

image-1445539891.jpg

It was a couple of weeks ago but I will do another one today but the results won't be far from that anyway. The tank is a 100L with two T5 tubes (one white and one actinic). I have a cucumber, some Nassarius Snails and a Lawnmower Blenny to try and get rid of the algae.

Your hair algae is most likely consuming your nitrates and phosphates and that is why your test shows no detectable amounts. It's feeding the algae.

Back
Top Bottom