Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Give them some vitamins and mush needed minerals if you want their color to be vibrant. Feeding, light, and water parameters also important.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

its a 33g tank and i thought t5 lighting is good and sufficient

Old 09-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

how long has the tank been set up?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:55 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok so what vitamins and minerals do i get.. and the tank has been up aabout 2 months
Old 09-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

[QUOTE=craig_will2513;1556455]ok so what vitamins and minerals do i get.. and the tank has been up aabout 2 months[/QUOTE

I use SALIFERT trace elements, I have always used it with a combination of sufficient lighting and 3 times a week feeding - including target feeding where necessary and I have had a lot of success with coral growth and several healthy and beautiful colonies of Zoas. Thats just what I do though... many people have different ideas. Salifert will be readily available to you at Maidenhead aquatics which you will find in just about every major town.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_will2513 View Post
its a 33g tank and i thought t5 lighting is good and sufficient
Nothing wrong with T5 lighting in the right quantity. I made the mistake of buying a 2 lamp 36" T5 fixture for my 45. Then I found that while it would be marginally ok for some basic corals it has no where near enough for the good stuff. I am currently building a 6 lamp. With that, I should be able to do any corals I want as long as I use the good lamps. There are a lot of other factors but many corals get what they need most from the light.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

You are absolutely right, some of the very best reefs I have ever seen have been run on T5's. I would look to use a reflector of some kind - white guttering is cheap and works brilliantly for a DIY build.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulace2372 View Post
You are absolutely right, some of the very best reefs I have ever seen have been run on T5's. I would look to use a reflector of some kind - white guttering is cheap and works brilliantly for a DIY build.
Actually, I have chrome reflectors which will give an individual reflector for each lamp. It is a fixture that is designed for warehouses and to be mounted 30 feet off the floor. It was damaged in shipping and they told us to field scrap it and they would send us a new one. So, I field scrapped it to my garage. LOL I have cut it down in size width wise and I am in the process of building a nice wooden shroud for it. Then I will hang it over the aquarium. While it may not be as good as a factory built one, it should do the trick just fine.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah its a much debated issue which rears its head from time to time (white or mirrored reflectors) . Im certainly not saying you are wrong, infact I think its a great idea and individual reflectors are always going to be better. Depending on the spectrum you are using and the light coverage available, white guttering is a good, cheap and available alternative which will not reflect as much heat as chrome will - a problem for many with closed tanks who do not run a chiller unit.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do think we have veered off subject slightly but the importance of lighting should be expressed! lol

Tags
zoas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com