Zoas question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JraGold

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm fairly new to keeping corals but I've recently purchased a frag plug that has 10 small polyps on it and they're so close together... my question is will they eventually spread out and grow fatter? Any tips or tricks?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They will grow onto any rocks that the are next to, the will probably grow fatter, but they will still be kinda "small" but the will stay where they are, basically they will stay on the frag, but the new polyps will grow outwards, and colonize the surrounding rocks. Some people feed them, most don't. I know some sellers that feed the corals, so they produce up to 2 polyps per week, but that's only if you want to, most reefers I know don't feed their corals, but they still flourish, they just don't grow as fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here's a pic of it. Reason I ask is I have seen some of the very same zoa polyps that are huge compared to these.. I have fed them a couple times just to see and these particular ones don't really act in the same way as my other zoas...

Attachments

• 1430139119519.jpg
    1430139119519.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 98
Here's another pic.

Attachments

• 1430139282217.jpg
    1430139282217.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 104
If you just got them, what light did they come from, and what light are you running? If the Zoas were not acclimated properly, this will tick them off for a bit.
Other than that, if water parameters are in order, Zoas tend to fill in nicely in due time.

Hmm ok. It's actually the same lighting they came from.

They look fine to me. They'll spread in time

Ok great! Thanks for the reassurance! One of my fave zoanthids so far! Can't wait!

Different Zoas will act differently. I've had some that multiplied like crazy and others that have done nothing. Size, at least for me, can vary depending on where they are in the tank for light and flow. I've moved some of mine and seen improvements and sometimes it upsets others and they shrink or stay closed more.

Back
Top Bottom