1 dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batgirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank that had 1 kuhli loach in it for 3 weeks. I knew he needed company but he was the last one at the store and they didn't restock freshwater until wednesday. On Wednesday I got 2 more and I left him in quarantine with the new ones so he didn't get stressed out alone. I know bad move.
One of the kuhli loaches had a black streak on his belly. He was acting normal (I think) but when I came home today from a trip to Petco I saw him dead. He was stiff in a wiggly position. My sister says she saw him dead at around 7.
Now all the other khuli loaches have a black streak.
What do you think killed him?
Do you think it's contagious?
Can I help my remaining 2?
I don't know my parameters because I ran out of test strips and my liquid test kit hasn't come yet, but I do 20% water changes every other day on that tank. My heater for that tank is stuck on 82 and my ph is around 6.5

Someone please if you have any ideas I'm desperate, I just saw the remaining two on their sides bent.

Ime that sounds like there is something seriously wrong with your water parameters. I would do a very large water change quick if you want to save the other two.

I did a 50% water change. I forgot to mention I also have a nerite snail in there, he seems fine happily cruising around the tank (in the water) I assumed he would leave if he didn't like the water parameters. Also the dead khuli loach had that black streak before I got home from the lfs.
I don't want to stress them out anymore than I already have but it won't matter if they die from something else so how long should I wait to do another 50% water change?

Kuhli loaches can be insanely sensitive to parameter spikes. I've lot several at once on two different occasions due to this and nobody else in the tanks even showed signs of distress! I don't know about the black streaks but the dead one and the others laying down bent sound like water issues to me. Do you have anyway to test your water? If they are still alive i would do another 50% in the morning

I don't have any way to test my parameters but I after the water change the black stripe faded and any redness in there faces faded. They both are swimming around and looking much better than before! My remaining new one scared me by laying on my fake plant limp but when I moved it she sprang back to life.
Do you think I can do a 20% water change to help me go to bed or will that stress them out?

I don't think a 20% tonight would hurt. That's awesome ti hear they are doing better! I really suggest you invest in a test kit.(liquid not strips) until then i would do daily water changes abduction keep a close eye on your loaches:)

I bought one off Amazon because it was cheaper than at Petco but it hasn't come in the mail yet :( I will Defintly be doing lots off water changes until then.

They both made it through the night and are swimming around the tank!

How do I make sure there eating the food I put in? I haven't seen my original one eat once, but I don't want any rotting food. Also can I move my snail over to my main tank to remove waste or will that defeat the purpose of qaurintine?

I also have a bottle of Outbreak the petco person tricked my mom into buying when I asked for ammoina. If I follow the instructions for dosing (every week) will this help them since it would be a temperary cycle?

Im sorry i have no idea what Outbreak is...... As far as the food issue goes I've never experienced them to be picky eaters maybe the water conditions caused then not to eat? I would just put a little bit of sinking food in at a time and try to watch n see if they are eating it

Outbreak is a bacteria supplement. When I just had the one for weeks and the water was fine (still had test strips) I didn't see him eat maybe I just wasn't watching.

I don't have enough filter media in my 55 gallon tank to give any to this tank except my activated carbon will that help? Do nerite snails need heated tanks?

I have an unheated empty windowsill tank can I move my nerite snail there? Is there a way I can move it to my main tank without transferring potential illness? Can I dunk him in clean dechlorinated water?

Hi batgirl.

New to being a fish parent. I bought 4 khuli's and love them. I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your one. I am keeping an eye on your post, just so that I will also know what to do.
I am holding thumbs!!!

Back
Top Bottom