10 gal suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettyvacant

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had my 10 gal aquarium running for a week now without any fish in it, since i moved my betta back into his bowl. Anyway, I used to have a school of tiger barbs in there a while ago... but they're obviously all gone now, so I was hoping you people can give me some suggestions on what i should put in there now.... or just tell me what you have in your 10 gal... Thanks//

I strongly encourage you to put the betta back in the 10 gal, bowls are not a suitable environment for any fish. That is equivalent to you living in a closet, sure there's room to turn around and air to breath, but would you enjoy yourself?

My suggestions for giving the betta some tank mates are:
khuli loaches
dwarf frogs
cory cats
cardinal tetras
pygmy cory cats
*not all in the same tank--pick one or two that you like--khulis and cories like to be in groups of at least three*

I have a gorgeous male betta that is almost ready to come out of QT and will go in a 10 gal tank with khuli loaches and pygmy cats.
Some bettas will not put up with any tank mates, YMMV. You definitely do not want to add other "flashy" fish that hover around the surface.

actually ive had this betta for almost 2 years living in the bowl and he seems fine.... i was hoping i could keep some different fish in the 10 gal for a change.. i was thinking some zebra danios..

actually ive had this betta for almost 2 years living in the bowl and he seems fine
In all honesty, I don't care if the betta has lived in the bowl for ten years, just because he's surviving, doesn't make it right.

The rest of the fish you are mentioning need room to swim and want to be in schools, preferably 3+

I'd go with Mollies, fancy guppies, or swordtails. These are all live bearers and you'll most likely get to watch them add new fish to your tank (it was fun for me when I first started keeping fish). You could also add a few cories or ottos to clean the bottom.

Dwarf frogs are pretty cool to watch as well.

You could probably have the betta in the 10 gal along with 5 zebra danios. I have 5 zebra danios in my 10 gal with 3 female bettas and nobody bothers anyone... of course, every fish is different and will react unpredictably. I agree with Menagerie, bettas can live in a bowl, but honestly they shouldn't and they will be much healthier/live longer in the 10 gal. I know they sell betta bowls, but just because something is out on the market, doesn't mean it is a good thing. If fish were protected by the same laws as cats, dogs, horses, etc... a lot of marketed stuff would be deemed inhumane, including the betta bowls and vases.

I personally feel as a permanent home for a betta, that at least 3 gallons should be a rule. Although i have to admit, that as a kid, i had a couple bettas live over 5 years in a 1 gallon bowl. My cousin has a 7 year old one in a 2 gallon.

As for the ten gallon,
Guppies, mollys, endlers, white clouds, african dwarf frogs, otocinclus, and pristella tetras are all some of my favorites, and all are fairly hardy. I wouldnt suggest swordtails in a tank any less than a 20 gallon, because of their swimming style. :p

I hope you don't feel like people are picking on you... we just all care about fish toooooo much(if there is such a thing) and bettas are happier in more water. I had a lady tell me that they lived longer in the small bowls... that wasn't a marketing scheme by the pet stores, I honestly think they've been misinformed by someone further up the chain... Doesn't make sense... in those little bowl if you're not keeping the water crystal clear all the time they don't live long... I've seen pleanty die in those bowls while still at the pet store... and I don't understand how they make money, maybe because people by new bowls all the time... I mean, if I was a store I'd make more money selling a ten gallon and heater and all then I would selling just a bowl... of course a lot of consumers are cheap... maybe that has something to do with it... they sell the cheap stuff even though it isn't right just so people can afford it? who knows... I'm liking everyone's suggestions so far... I too would put the betta in the ten gallon with a few other fish. I'd definitely go with some khuli loaches, those just happen to be one of my favorite fish... And bettas are more active in more water... in those really small bowls they just sit there and do nothing.

good point millipede, I am in no ways picking on you (and I doubt anyone has those intentions on this board), I just think the better conditions a fish has, the easier it is to take care of them, they live longer, so the owner is happier overall.

Purchase a 2 gallon hex for your betta, and consider maybe a few fancy guppies for your 10 gallon. as Spence said, its neat to watch the circle of life occour.

Hello there and thanks again for the suggestions. I like the suggestion about having the betta with 5 zebra danios, as I was planning on buying some anyway. I already own a 2 gallon with 1 fancy guppy and an endlers... I'd put them in my 29 but I know that they shouldn't go with platies...
anyway i only mentioned the betta thing, because i assumed mine was happy and fine since ive had it for like 2 years and i keep my water clean.... anyways thanks again for the suggestions...
and if i want to get some harlequin rasboras, do they need to be in a group of atleast six? and can they go with the betta?

By the way, my betta is a male... does that change anything? since someone said they have a female betta with the 5 zebra danios.....

I just asked in another post if my male betta could be kept with my otos (and switch my females to my 5 gal) and I got a positive response. So I am guessing your male betta will be just fine with the danios. Just keep an eye on them. Good luck!

I have 5 serpae tetra in my 10g. They were schooling at the fish store, but now I only see them school while I'm cleaning their tank. They bunch up at night but otherwise they kinda hang out separately and only minimally chase after each other. They're vibrant little guys and I love 'em!

Back
Top Bottom