11 dead fish in 3 days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lurker79

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have no idea what is going on in my tank. I will give all of the info I can please feel free to ask questions. First off about my tank. It is a 90g with a fluval fx5 and 2 T5 6700 lights. It is, well was, 85% stocked according to aqadviser with Neon, Rummynose, Platy, Molly, Cory, Albino Bristlenose, Pristella Tetra, one Ghost Shrimp, and Nerites. I do a 30% wc weekly and the temp is 78-79. It is planted there is lots of driftwood. I am also currently having an algae problem. I seem to have beard algae and gsa. I am still new to planted tanks but after some research I think those are the 2 kinds I have. The only new things in the tank are 4 cory (2 already dead), 2 platy added on Saturday (3 days before this started) and 5 nerites moved from my 55g on Saturday also.

Here are my parameters:
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
pH 7.4
Nitrates 40 ( I know that is high, but I wouldn't think it is high enough to cause these problems)
Po4 1
kh 35.8
gh 53.7
I don't really understand the gh and kh but I tested it anyway because I know many of you do.

I have lost 11 fish in 3 days and most of them there has been no warning that they were even sick. The ones I have lost are 5 platy, 2 cory, 2 rummy nose, 1 neon, and 1 albino bn. The neon in the pic has whits across the top and bottom of its body and the bn pleco had a little white like that on its head. The pleco also appeared to be a little darker in color than it normally is the day before it died. I have a dalmation molly that seems fine but also appears slightly darker in color.The rest of them have been fine one minute and dead the next. I am very perplexed and would love some help...
88527-albums13773-picture66327.jpg
88527-albums13773-picture66328.jpg
88527-albums13773-picture66329.jpg

I was afraid of the possibility of columnaris. I will read some more about neon terra disease. Any idea on the best treatment for either?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Does look like the colour loss spots I had if seeing correctly.

Edit - do they just die or get bent spines / twitches?

They just die. Mist if them with no warning at all.

Looks like your new additions brought some aggressive columnaris with them, this is why qt is so important.. Had the same thing happen to me months back...

I agree qt is a must and it stinks to learn that the hard way...

Brookster the snails and plants I got from you should get here today, but no worries because they are for a different tank.

I lowered the temp in the hopes of not making it progress faster. I also am heading to the store now to get some Maracyn 2. If anyone has experience with columnaris I would love to know what worked and what didn't work for you. Thanks

Caliban used triple sulfu successfully I believe.. Case was not as progressive as yours though..

They just die. Mist if them with no warning at all.

Sounds like columnaris then unfortunately. Also have cured a mild case with triple sulpha but just ordered furan 2 and one other for future (for treating gram negative bacterial infections but name escapes me).

I lowered the temp in the hopes of not making it progress faster. I also am heading to the store now to get some Maracyn 2. If anyone has experience with columnaris I would love to know what worked and what didn't work for you. Thanks

I found salt seemed to help. Also water changes and lower temp. At higher temp I could definitely see it coming back.

I've read of one case where h2o2 with lower temps was used. This was successful so could be a back up. I did briefly try it with no luck.

Back
Top Bottom