15 dead. What happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BRSIII

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been reading this site for a long time and had even been thinking about making an account recently because I sometimes see someone ask a question I think I can help with. Well, looks like I'm the one that needs some help.

I am not a beginner at keeping fish but I certainly don't know it all either. I have two 55 gallon tanks, three 75 gallon tanks, a 40 gallon for cichlid fry, and a 30 for cichlid fry, and a 20 long with dividers for bettas.

The one I'm having trouble with is a 35 gallon I drilled with a 20 gallon long sump under it. It also has an 8 gallon tank for fry or sickly fish that also drains into the sump. I use flagstone in a lot of my tanks and have never had a problem. This one had flagstone and some rocks I brought home from a camping trip. At one time it was just flagstone but I took a lot of it out to put in a larger aquarium.

It has several house plants growing with their roots in the sump which helps keep things clean. I did a lot of research to figure out which plants were safe. Ill look up their names if needed. The return pump feeds through cpvc water line painted with black krylon fusion paint, a set up i have used on several tanks for years with no problems.

In the sump I have a second pump for a spray bar that keeps the water surface nice and agitated as it moves through the sump.

Ok, a few weeks ago i came home from work and noticed my entire batch of fuelleborni fry that were in the 8 gallon until i could figure out what to do with them were dead. They had been fine that morning. I also had a dead fish in the main tank. I tested my water and found everything to be perfect but decided to do a water change anyway. The filter section of the sump looked a little dirty so i took all the media out (sponge, bio-media for aquaclear 110, carbon, and plastic pot scrubbers) rinsed it all in tank water, cleaned out the compartment completely and put it all back together.

Everything was fine for a couple of weeks until suddenly half the fish in my display and 3 one inch yellow labs in the sump were dead. I did a big water change, 90% or so, even though the water tested fine. I removed all of the rocks from the camping trip even though i have some in another tank that has had no problems.

This tank has been up and running for two years or so and currently had several mbuna and one victorian that were all just big sissies and too docile for the tanks they had been in. Beautiful fish that all got along great once i removed them from the other tanks. They had been in this tank for months and I was getting ready to do something else with them since the tank was slightly crowded but with regular water changes everything was fine.

So all that was left was six fish in the display tank, nothing in the sump or the 8 gallon. I disconected the 8 gallon since it was empty and i thought the contaminant might be in there. Just hours after the water change the remaining fish were starting to look good again. They had been floating at the top gasping breath like ammonia or nitrate poisoning but the water tested fine.
I was so worried i even got up in the middle of the night to come check and they were even better than they had been when i went to bed. Same story that morning when i got up for work.

I came home yesterday and they looked like death. One of them even looked like it had some sort of fin rot going on, all were at different stages of dying but I thought i could save them. I quickly set up a big plastic storage container in the living room and put fresh water in it. A few hours after putting the fish in the plastic bin all but one were fine again. One did not make it, the one with the fin rot looking business going on.

What ever happened contaminated nearly 55 gallons of water over night. I cant decide what to do. I've tested the water again just to make sure I didn't get false readings I used a different testing set up and if i didn't know better I'd say the tank is great and ready for fish.

If i take it all down I dont know what to reuse when i set it back up. I have no idea what could have caused this and I am even scared to use the pumps again as silly as that is. I have to do something though, the fish are in a bin in the living room which isn't making my wife happy lol. I can't put a heater in their bin either I don't have is submersible and a back hanging on wont reach the water.

I need theories about what might have happened, and ideas about what to do next. This is sad, and crazy.

Hi, can anything be getting into the fish tanks? Sounds a tricky one. What ph do you have?

Is it always at night they die?

I am just going to guess Columnaris. A very nasty disease that comes in several strains. One of these strains will kill fish within 24 hours with no outward symptoms.

The info on the web about this disease is very poor and often wrong. For example, the Wikipedia article cites "poor water quality" which is false. Columnaris is aerobic and thrives in GOOD conditions.
There are two main resources I pass around in case people are considering this as what their tank has:
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention

This next one is very technical but it is worth your time to read if you suspect columnaris.
Veterinary Research | Full text | Columnaris disease in fish: a review with emphasis on bacterium-host interactions

Columnaris can present in a "high virulence" and "low virulence" strain. The high virulence strain is the one which kills so quickly that there is almost no chance of cure because you never even know the fish are sick. The low virulence strain incubates and kills weeks later, and the fish will demonstrate the common symptoms such as cotton mouth and skin lesions.

I am NOT saying this is what your tank has because I really don't know, but Columnaris should always be a top consideration in a tank where the inhabitants are suddenly "dropping dead" (the high virulence strain)

Read at least that first link I posted for some ways to combat.

Also, never discount any outside mistake. Have you added ANY objects to your tank lately? I recently poisoned my fish by adding an item with a toxin. Whoops :(

If you do decide to treat for columnaris (and I am not recommending either way that you do since I don't know what you have), go with both Kanamycin and Furan-2 (nitrofuran). This is the best antibiotic combo for columnaris. You can buy it at Petsmart/Petco for an exhorbitant price, on Amazon for a much better price, or from nationalfishpharm.com in bulk for a good price if you have a big tank.

Ok I realize I know this is a silly mistake. I checked Nitrate, nitrite, ammonia each time i tested this tank but didnt test PH. I have high PH tap water thats good for my african cichlids so i rarely worry about it. The PH in this tank i just tested with two different tests and its off the scale low with both tests. I just did a 90% water change Wednesday or Thursday. I don't see how it could be so low. One test low end is 7.5, the other is 6.2. The water will turn anything from orange to red normally depending on where it is on the scale for the 6.2 test, for the other test its different shades of purple normally, darker being higher ph. For both tests, the water turned yellow. I have no idea what the PH is. How acidic can water get before fish get foggy eye and die in a mater of hours? What could drop my PH that fast? its about 7.5-7.8 out of the tap. Im going to test my tap water again just to be sure.

Thank you for all the info, I read through both links. I looked at many pictures of fish with columnaris and they just don't look like mine. It also said the temp had to be 80 and above for that to thrive, this tank hasn't had a heater in a while the water stays around 70 maybe dipping a bit lower at night. The fish in it can handle those temps easy, I had forgotten all about the heater until I read that.

I have a bunch of house plants growing in the sump, I wonder if they could be causing the PH drop.

I currently haven't got the chemical to test KH or GH but it is usually in the area of 190-200ppm. I will get what I need to test it but it's been so long since I've had any kind of problem with any of my tanks that I normally only test ammonia or nitrate, nitrite.

I think it would be worth checking kh just in case. It should be good but..

My tap is about 8 straight away but the tank is 7.2 and now fully stocked. With a tank kh of 2 ( 5 or ~100ppm in tap) it's just a battle keeping it up now. But I have added lots of driftwood as well.

I have found my kh varies over winter and summer. Last summer the tank ph slid down to 6.6 or so before I worked out.

It's not columnaris, it's your ph that is the issue here. As your other tanks are fine and your fish are quickly recovering (most of them) after a water change or being immersed in new water, your tap ph is likely not the main issue here. Cloudy eyes, slime coat issues and rapid fin degradation (due to bacterial invasion once slime cost is damaged) can all be symptoms of very acidic water or a large swing in ph.

However, what is in the tank that is causing the issue is another mystery to figure out. You mentioned house plants being used. What specific types? Have you added new ones recently? Have any of them grown dramatically in the past month or so? Are you using any chemical-altering media in your filter? Anything else that may have changed around the time this started to occur?

Totally agree after reading there is a pH crash and pH is 6.0 or less. Serious pH problem here. Something is definitely off.

So nice (kind of) to have a possible cause / lead :) And now we have jlk on the thread to pester for questions :) :)

Edit - kidding (sort of)!!

:). We just need to figure out why this is happening out of the blue because the tank has been running steadily for quite a long time now. My suspect is the houseplants draining the gh and kh rapidly but I may be off base here. There may be something else I am missing....

BRS, if it's possible (I know your out of testing means right now), but perhaps if you have a decent lfs near you, you could take a sample of tap water and tank water and have them test for gh and kh? A decent lfs may also have more sophisticated ph testing means to see how low your tank ph actually is (ph meter or something similar). These numbers may help us to figure out what is happening here!

The one I'm having trouble with is a 35 gallon I drilled with a 20 gallon long sump under it. It also has an 8 gallon tank for fry or sickly fish that also drains into the sump. I use flagstone in a lot of my tanks and have never had a problem. This one had flagstone and some rocks I brought home from a camping trip. At one time it was just flagstone but I took a lot of it out to put in a larger aquarium.

-------------/-------

Bit of a long shot but in addition to above, you could check kh in other tanks and see if it is higher and if that is related to amount of flagstone. I'm not sure what that is but if it had carbonate possibly that was helping. It looked like some or all was removed?

thank you for all the replies! I think you are completely correct about the PH and I also think its the house plants are the cause. They have grown a lot, three times as much as the plants in my other tanks. Let me see if i can name them, Pothos Ivy, Spider plant, peace lily, and white butterfly plant. The roots grow in the sump and the leaves are all out of the water and really taken off. I think its because the light over the sump is up high enough they all get a lot of light. The pothos ivy in the display tank hasn't grown nearly as much. I also have 2 anubias that aren't super big, java fern, java moss, and some stupid fast growing light green colored thing that puts off new plants all the time that float around the tank. I cant find a name for it but it is good for keeping water clean so I allow it to live.

Like I said, I do have all of these plants in most of my other tanks but no where near as big as in this tank.

Flagstone is just slate, I should have just called it such. The local places sell it as flagstone but that's not a proper name. I had someone give me a whole bunch of it and I've been using it in my aquariums for a long time. Its beautiful stuff. It really shouldn't change the PH one way or another.

When I set up my 75 gallon cichlid tank I needed most of my slate for rock work in it and to help seed bacteria so I removed all but a small amount from the tank thats giving me problems. That was at least a year ago. I used a bunch of quartz, granite, and chert I got from a camping trip to remake the rock work. It looked really good and my research indicated they were all safe once cleaned. I still have some of these rocks in both of my fry tanks and everyone in there is happy.

I am going to check at both of my local pet stores today for what i need to test, even though I'd rather chop my foot off than give the one of them money. My plan is to get crushed coral and add it to my substrate which is sand currently. I'm also going to get some limestone pavers at lowes to add to my rock work. This should help get the PH up and keep it there right? Has anyone ever heard of using something called "Granulated limestone" in place of the crushed coral?

I hate to remove the plants, the reason i started using house plants is because I was having trouble with nitrate in a couple of tanks. I use carbuncle shells and fake coral in my big african cichlid tank and pieces of old coral in my others and i imagine thats what keeps my ph right in those tanks.

thank you for all the replies! I think you are completely correct about the PH and I also think its the house plants are the cause. They have grown a lot, three times as much as the plants in my other tanks. Let me see if i can name them, Pothos Ivy, Spider plant, peace lily, and white butterfly plant. The roots grow in the sump and the leaves are all out of the water and really taken off. I think its because the light over the sump is up high enough they all get a lot of light. The pothos ivy in the display tank hasn't grown nearly as much. I also have 2 anubias that aren't super big, java fern, java moss, and some stupid fast growing light green colored thing that puts off new plants all the time that float around the tank. I cant find a name for it but it is good for keeping water clean so I allow it to live.

Like I said, I do have all of these plants in most of my other tanks but no where near as big as in this tank.

Flagstone is just slate, I should have just called it such. The local places sell it as flagstone but that's not a proper name. I had someone give me a whole bunch of it and I've been using it in my aquariums for a long time. Its beautiful stuff. It really shouldn't change the PH one way or another.

When I set up my 75 gallon cichlid tank I needed most of my slate for rock work in it and to help seed bacteria so I removed all but a small amount from the tank thats giving me problems. That was at least a year ago. I used a bunch of quartz, granite, and chert I got from a camping trip to remake the rock work. It looked really good and my research indicated they were all safe once cleaned. I still have some of these rocks in both of my fry tanks and everyone in there is happy.

I am going to check at both of my local pet stores today for what i need to test, even though I'd rather chop my foot off than give the one of them money. My plan is to get crushed coral and add it to my substrate which is sand currently. I'm also going to get some limestone pavers at lowes to add to my rock work. This should help get the PH up and keep it there right? Has anyone ever heard of using something called "Granulated limestone" in place of the crushed coral?

I hate to remove the plants, the reason i started using house plants is because I was having trouble with nitrate in a couple of tanks. I use carbuncle shells and fake coral in my big african cichlid tank and pieces of old coral in my others and i imagine thats what keeps my ph right in those tanks.

Do you use any fertilisers for the plants?

Sent from my SM-T210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No fertilizers. I couldn't get anything to test KH or GH and the PH tests are not even as good as what I have. I'll have to order online. I'm not sure how low the PH is but I know its below 6.0. How low is low enough to murder african cichlids?

Yep, it's the house plants. Their substantial growth was the red flag. Aquatic plants do not have the same level of impact. Terrestrial plants really suck the life out of soil (or in this case, water). I need to remineralize my garden every spring and have to buffer my pond to deal with the acidity from rain and terrestrial plants.

Aragonite, limestone or coral should help to keep your tank stable though it may take a bit of experimentation to figure how much will be necessary to keep your tank stable. No need to remove your plants! Please ask if you have questions! :)

Back
Top Bottom