1st time Ich???... (Begginer)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squirt0170

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just noticed in the last hour that I have 2 Silver Dollars that only seem to be effected in the tank... They have salt like balls on their fins and it looks like there are white things under their skin.. I believe this to be ick, or could this be something else? I don't have a working digital at this time to take pictures.

Here are my water "test" results.
Nitrate = 10
Nitrite = 3.0
Hardness = 120
Alkalinity = 80
PH = 6.8

The tank is 30 Gallons and has been set up for 3 weeks. I'm using a whisper 30 filter.

There are 9 fish all an inch long...

I have been doing water changes daily and vacuumed the gravel last night and this morning... I have been doing about 30 % water changes to 50%.

I have had the fish for over 2 weeks.... I haven't added anything new except I changed the cartridge last night...

I have been giving my fish flakes, frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp.

I raised the heater and I'm going to be slowly increasing the temperature and I added aquarium salt... I'm afraid to use medicine and hurt the fish...

3 ppm nitrites is way to high.

As far as the ich get the tank above 87 and hold it there for two weeks after you see the last of the ich.84-85 degrees is bad because it will make the ich cycle faster and effect the rest of your population more quickly.Keep an eye on your temp because your heater may not get you all the way to 87.Neither of mine did and I had to size up each time.

Works like a charm.I've done it twice with great results.Never bothered with the salt though.

In addition to the ich treatment you will need to do large water changes to get the nitrites down. The nitrites are deadly to your fish.

Will the high temperature hurt the fish? How fast can I raise the temp without effecting them?

Also should I take out the silver dollars or is it to late??? I don't want the other fish to get effected...

Will the high temperature hurt the fish? How fast can I raise the temp without effecting them?

Also should I take out the silver dollars or is it to late??? I don't want the other fish to get effected..

The fish will be fine.Raise it over a day.Leave the fish where they are and treat the tank with heat.No worries.

I know it seems odd and a little dangerous.I was a little worried the first time myself dispite the advice I got here...but it really works well and the fish don't mind a bit.

Did you test ammonia?

I just finished the 2-week at 87 degrees treatment and it worked great. All fish were fine. Get an airstone and lower your water level so the filters splash into the tank and agitate the water to keep the oxygen level up. I'm sure someone smarter here will point you to a complete ich thread.

Back
Top Bottom