2 days before I go out of town...ick strikes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codefox

Aquarium Advice FINatic
how should I handle this? I'm going to be gone for a week...do I do the heat treatment? I forget how long to do it off hand but I won't be back till next monday night. That seems like a long time to have the temps in the 90s.

The heat treatment should be good. I usually keep it about 88-89 degrees. You want to keep the heat treatment going two weeks after you see the last white spot gone.

The disadvantage to not being home is that you will not be there to observe your fish. If you have no choice, at least do heat. It is better to do something. Do you have anybody that can check on the fish?

Make sure you raise the temp slowly and put an airstone or lower the water line for more O2

Well, I have plants too, which is the other consideration. its a 55g tank so even if I crank up the heater it'll take a while to get to that temperature. My roommate can watch the fish and everything but y'know how it is. Its hard to tell someone what to do with this stuff.

But there's not much I can do is there. :(

I wouldn't wait to start treatment. I'd compromise and kick the temperature up to 85-87° with salt. This might cure the ick. Then you could start with copper sulfite, malachite green, or whatever you choose afterwards, if you need to.

I disagree, sorry. Heat alone has been shown to be affective and you do not know how salt will affect the plants.

And, 85-87 is not high enough to speed the life cycle of affect ich at all. It needs to be higher.

Yeah, that much I know. And I have no intention of using chemicals. If I lose the fish to ich then at least the plants will survive. Its just that I hate doing this while I'm goign to be gone and I expect the losses to be significant because of it.

Not always. If you raise the temp slowly, and do it long enough, you don't know how it will turn out.

I have gone through it a few times with no fatalilities.[/quote]

I have too...but given I leave in 2 days I'm not going to be able to monitor it :(

2 days should be enough time to raise the temp. Just make sure you trust your heater, and provide more O2.

As said, it is better to do something IMO. Just in case of a loss, having someone check on them is good to.

Sorry for your bad luck. I would keep instructions to your friend sweet and simple.

1. Tell him to watch the heater and thermometer to ensure temps stay in the range necessary to kill ich.

2. Give him a list of all tank inhabitants and have him count them every day so he can look for and remove any non-survivors quickly.

3. Impress on him the need NOT to overfeed. Show him exactly how much to feed, and when. Given that the fish are sick and you won't be there, I would be skipping days in between feedings. Better too little food than too much.

Good luck. I hope your fish make it.

Thanks for all the advice. I hope the fish make it too...at least on the bright side I was still in the middle of stocking so my losses won't be too bad. I hadn't put in my angels yet. I was going to wait till I came back. Glad I waited.

I just had to deal with an ich outbreak within a tank that contains some loaches (very succeptible with having no scales). It makes using medications slightly risky since dosages have to be halved etc.
You don't have any scaleless fish in your tank do you?

Heat will help because it speeds up the life cycle of the tomites, but I also found that adding a VERY small amount of salt reduces stress in the fish (esp. my loaches) and both the fish and the plants can tolerate that temporarily if it's reasonable (say 2.5ml per 75L or thereabouts). I know there is mixed reviews, but in my experience it did help. Maybe next time it won't tho (it's what makes keeping fish interesting and challenging!).

Hope it all goes ok!

My plants are thriving...I'm not going to do anything to risk the plants. No salt, no meds.

I understand you don't want to risk the plants, but really salt in small amounts will do very little to no damage. Are you keeping your tank for the plants, or for the fish ;-) :)

lol, well, fish...but as I said, I did just start stocking the fish and this is my first planted tank. Took me 3 tries to get the plants going like this ;)

Hehe, as long as they're not loaches you're favouring plants over I will let you live :p Hehe.
No, I totally understand how frustrating some plants can be to get to take properly, particularly when it comes to selecting varieties to suit certain species and substrates.

Hope your friend is able to keep check over your fish while you're away: if you've hardy fish you should be ok :)

I agree with fearlessfisch; I had my tank up to 88-ish for about 18 days. It killed all the ich, and none of the fish. My main concern would be a fish dying; the list and number of inhabitants is a great idea. You should have time to get the temp up (get another heater if you have to) and stable before you go.

My tank is up to 88 for the third time for ich. (seems every time I introduce a new fish I also introduce ich !). I've never had a loss from the heat and the plants are tolerating it well also. Don't worry, raise the temp over the 2 days, go on vacation , have a great time and know that you're doing the right thing for the little guys and gals.

Back
Top Bottom