Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

2 deaths in 3 days

I have a 250 litre tropical tank which I've been running since about May. My pH is quite high (almost 8 this weekend which is much higher than normal!), I think because I have sand instead of gravel. On Sunday I did a water change (about 40% because I hadn't had chance to do one the weekend before). I tried cleaning the filter (Fluval 204 x2) as well but messed up and a lot of the filtered material (old food etc) got blown back into the tank.

On the Monday I noticed one of my Angels had died suddenly. He'd shown no signs previously but was at the botton and had turned from pure black to white.
Tonight we've noticed one of the zebra danios floating at the top. He's still alive but doesn't look good. Another Danio has disappeared altogether.

I've also noticed a build up of rust coloured algae on the decor over the last week. There's also a lot more faeces on the floor than normal which seems to be linked to the 3 Platys we bought a few weeks ago. I tried hoovering this weekend but wasn't very successful.

The Danios have been in for months and the angels for about a month. The last thing we added was some small livebearers about 2 weeks ago which my partner did by emptying the bag straight into the tank (Grrr!).
Food is the same King British Tropical Flakes.

Could pH kill so suddenly with no prior signs? Or is it more likely to be the shock of the water change and filter problem? Or the build up of faeces and algae? Or anything else?

Tags
deaths, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com