2 sick Angels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
My two biggest Angels seem to have some kind of infection. Their fins have some discoloration as well and are looking a little ragged. I am not sure it's fin rot though since the skin near their dorsals is yellow-ish in color. Both eyes on both fish are red. They still have an appetite, and are active. Current water parameters are ph 6.8 Ammonia 0ppm Nitrites 0ppm KH 35.8ppm-53.7ppm GH 71.6ppm. Anyone recommend some treatment please.

Red eyes are generally not a concern for adult angels. Most breeds will have red eyes, although the gold gene is one which inhibits it. What types of angels do you have? My black lace and smokey both have red eyes; my 2 golds and gold marble do not.

It difficult to ascertain whats going on with you 2 angels. You say the skin near the dorsal is yellow...unusual. Hemorrhagic septicemia comes to mind, but that usually consists of reddish streaks on and near the fins, not yellow. How long have the fish been ill? Have there been any changes prior to the fish showing signs (new fish added, new decorations, new chemicals)? And are they showing any other signs; behavior changes, heavy breathing, glancing off tank objects, eating changes? And azn asks an important question; what are the nitrate levels?

One other thought. How old are they? Some angel breeds will show a goldish/bronze crown as they mature. The color change may simply be that.

I believe that both Angels are of the Marble Veil variety. I have had these fish for probably 4 or 5 months. I just noticed last week that, one in particular, they were developing a patch of scales that were faint yellow in color, near their dorsal fins. There isn't any sign of hemoraging, they are very active, and still eat. No signs of labored breathing. Unfortunatly I have no way to test for nitrates, so I just change 25% of the water once a week.

That looks just like it. Well silly me, I guess they aren't sick. I was just concerned though. Thanks for all the help.

Whew, glad to see its something simple and not anything to worry about :) And no, you're not the first person to have the same concern.

As for the ragged edges, if they're not combtails it may be a touch of finrot. Melafix is great stuff for mild cases and won't mess up your bacterial colonies either.

Back
Top Bottom