2 sick fish, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dooboedoo12

Aquarium Advice Freak
My amonia levels are high and I'm taking care of that now. I don't have a hospital tank for my fish. I was hoping that maybe someone can give me advice on helping them or should I just get the levels good again and than they heal on their own. They look like this :

Thank you to anyone reading and anyone that gives back some advice. It's greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

• image-3098117926.jpg
    image-3098117926.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2829832535.jpg
    image-2829832535.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 74
Please tell me these fish are not in the same tank

If so, the presence of an oscar will be enough to stress many fish and the reddening of the gourami could well be damage from the oscar. The reddening could be deterioration due to the high ammonia and the ragged fins on the gourami - if not caused by the oscar - is another sign of ammonia damage... this could now be infected. The cloudy eye on the oscar is another possible sign of ammonia toxicity, but could also be a symptom of parsaite or bacterial infection.

My advice would be to separate the fish as soon a possible and treat both with an anti-bacterial treatment, whilst maintaining regular smallish water changes to help keep the ammonia at the lowest possible reading until thebalance is redressed and your filter is working efficiently

I just saw your other post... a jack dempsey as well??? He looks very healthy and I now suggest he could be bullying the other two.... there is not a lot of love in this tank!!

Leave those fish together and the gourami will almost certainly be killed. I doubt the two cichlids will get on in the long term either.

I have had the 3 together for a long time. None of the fish ever fought and still don't believe it or not. The jack dempsy likes his castle the oscar likes the fake grass area and the gourami chills at the top. None of them bother each other

What would be a medication I could add to the tank that won't effect my African spears and won't effect the levels of my tank?

There isn't a huge amount you can do once ammonia poisoning has happened. It causes chemical burns, not only to the eyes but the gills as well and in most cases the damage is not reversible.

The eyes may heal with time but gill damage is much less likely to heal completely. Fish that have been exposed to high ammonia levels can recover, and the main thing is to provide plenty of clean water. There aren't any meds I know of that will really help, though salt is known to help prevent the uptake of nitrite in the bloodstream, which is why it's often used when shipping fish, to help prevent nitrite damage.

Generally, life spans of the fish will be affected, shortened, though it's very hard to say by how much. It depends so much on the fish, how much exposure, for how long, etc.
Wishing you luck, but ammonia is very toxic to fish, which is why keeping tanks cycled and testing water is so important.

With the latest water change I'm able to have my levels
Ph-6.4
High range ph-less than 7.4
Ammonia-.50
No2-.25
No3-10ppm

My ammonia is way down now and I will keep a daily watch on the tank. I couldn't thank you enough for the advice and I'm sure my fish feel the same.

With the latest water change I'm able to have my levels
Ph-6.4
High range ph-less than 7.4
Ammonia-.50
No2-.25
No3-10ppm

My ammonia is way down now and I will keep a daily watch on the tank. I couldn't thank you enough for the advice and I'm sure my fish feel the same.

You need at least 1 more 50% water change to get that ammonia below .25 I would do 2.

I did one again last night. It stayed at the same levels. I'm going to do another one today until it's down to a reasonable level. I rest the tank twice a day

Update : bought a 90 gallon tank today. Let the process of moving these guys to a new healthy home begin

I've done 50% water changes everyday for a week now. I can't get the amonia go full below 1.0. I don't know what to do anymore? I clean the gravel every day in great the water and I change it. I'm getting no more process. At least it's not 8.0 anymore

It's going to take time to cycle the tank so just be patient and keep up on the water changes. 1 think you could do is get some ammonia remover for your filter it will reduce it in 1 day or less depending on your pump. I had a large catfish that would add ammonia to the water at high levels and the remover did the trick until it cycled hope this helps

I have. It stopped my water changes. It still hasn't gone down! This was today

Attachments

• image-4061978098.jpg
    image-4061978098.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 45
The only thing I could think of is your filtration isn' t keeping up with the tank load or maybe your over stocked and it can't keep up

:/ I'll have to keep doing as much water changes as I can than until the new tank is set up is all.

Back
Top Bottom