2 unknown deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,

I'm sure everyone in here knows about the ich that was in my tank. Well the temp is still up around 85. A few days ago I lost my female GBR. Overnight last night my last 2 von rio tetras died. one of them was a little nipped at but the other looked fine physically. The only thing I can think of is that my mom did overfeed them last night a litte bit.

I don't know if it made any difference to the fish but the temps need to be over 86F to effectively kill ich. I am so sorry for your loss of your female GBR. They can be a difficult fish and might just be stressed by the ich and the treatment. Overfeeding a little bit will not kill a fish.

I concur, 86+ for the ich, from what I've read. 85 actually increases the ich production, again, only what I've read...

papa_bear_21 said:
85 actually increases the ich production, again, only what I've read...

Close...

85 will shorten the lifespan of the ich bacteria. Ich needs to find a host to live, in colder water it can live a long time without a host, but warmer water means it needs to find a host more quickly in able to survive.

86 will kill it

I hate mysterious deaths, i have had a few lately. my peacock cichlid, a clown loach, and a bolivian ram.

Sometimes things are just to mysterious to find an answer. I hope all else goes well.

I think what really happens is that the higher temps DO actually increase the production of the ich so to speak (it is making their three stage life cycle occur more rapidly), but the end result is that it is making it more readily exposed to the treatment at the correct stage at which they can be successfully eliminated. Also, so you can treat in a shorter time span. Ich is not vulnerable at all of the stages of its life cycle.

Also, I don't think it can be killed with high temp until about 90 degrees, but I am not 100% on that.

Back
Top Bottom