2 zebra danios with big bellies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mappy306

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks. I have 2 zebra danios that have big bellies. One of them looks like a huge beer belly. These 2 fish eat the most ... but i have not fed them that much today. What could be causing the swollen belly?

They might be females and full of eggs....

Do there scales stick out like a pinecone ( from top)

I have 4 glo danios (2 blue 2 red). For some reason my red ones are fat as well. I suspect that they just eat all my guppies babies, because when I find guppy fry there are only 2 or 3 in the tank at a time. Also, my red glo danio have been fat for a couple months now and have never given birth. But yours could be pregnant (when it comes to pregnant danios I know nothing). As long as they seem happy and comfortable, I"m not sure that there's much you need to worry about. You could try giving them cooked fresh or frozen peas, which will help them poop, in case they are constipated. If they do seem to be in distress I have heard of fish having some sort of infection that is causing the bloat. By danios have gone through 1 full round of antibiotic treatment with no change (antibiotic was related to another issue) so... they just might be prone to being pudgy. :p

I have 4 glo danios (2 blue 2 red). For some reason my red ones are fat as well. I suspect that they just eat all my guppies babies, because when I find guppy fry there are only 2 or 3 in the tank at a time. Also, my red glo danio have been fat for a couple months now and have never given birth. But yours could be pregnant (when it comes to pregnant danios I know nothing). As long as they seem happy and comfortable, I"m not sure that there's much you need to worry about. You could try giving them cooked fresh or frozen peas, which will help them poop, in case they are constipated. If they do seem to be in distress I have heard of fish having some sort of infection that is causing the bloat. By danios have gone through 1 full round of antibiotic treatment with no change (antibiotic was related to another issue) so... they just might be prone to being pudgy. :p

Danios are egg layers, but i agree with the peas, you could give those a try!

Danios are egg layers, but i agree with the peas, you could give those a try!

Oh my! I thought they were livebearers! Oops... well mine never got skinny, .... so either they never laid eggs or they are pregnant again >.<; Maybe I should look-up what danio eggies look like then.

They seem to be fine and happy. They other fish are doing well. Its really hard to see if the scales are pointing out because they are so fast. They never stop moving. I just boil some peas and drop them in?

They seem to be fine and happy. They other fish are doing well. Its really hard to see if the scales are pointing out because they are so fast. They never stop moving. I just boil some peas and drop them in?
Boil them, wait for them to cool a bit so you can handle them, then I pinch them so I can get the soft mushy center out. throw away the skins and you can feed that soft mushy center to your fishies. Since I have some smaller fishies I continue to mush the peas a bit in the water with my fingers as I drop them in.

Back
Top Bottom