20 gallon HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K8Shores

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just recently put together a 20 gallon tank that I was letting cycle before introducing the fish. My boyfriend, who was trying to be sweet, went and bought a bunch of fish and put them in to surprise me. Now I have 2 dalmation molly's, 2 black molly's, a rainbow shark and 10 various platy's all in this tank! Oh and yep, you guessed it, they are all in pairs! A male and female of each! In addition, someone had velvet, so now they all have it! I've tried treatment, and it has helped some, but I need advice on what to do! Also, I'm pretty sure all the females are pregnant. What do I do?!?!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131119_090711.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131119_090711.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 36
Molly's can get to be 3 inches and with that kind of stock. Don't take my word but I think you may have a lot of fish on your hands. You can always call a lfs and see if they can't take some? If your tank isn't cycled you will have to do daily testing and daily water changes.
I have a 10 gal with 4 platys that's still cycling and the tank has been up a little over a month. You have to keep ammonia and nitrites down to .25 or it can damage your fish. Platys breed about every 30 days/give birth. You have a bunch so be prepared. My girl gave birth to a few, she ate a few as well. If you leave the fry alone you might get lucky and they'll all get eaten since Molly's and platys eat their young.
It was really sweet of him to be thinking about you like that :) but you will have a lot of work if you decide to keep everyone

Just so you have an idea. I do 2-3 water changes of 3-4 gal at a time In my 10 gal with just 4 platys to keep nitrites down to .25.
The nitrite part of the cycle takes the longest!

I've been doing constant water changes since I've been having to treat for the velvet. This isn't my first go around with Platies, which is why I'm worried. They're like the jack rabbits of the fish world when it comes to breeding! Lol. I have a 5 gallon that I'm trying to get going to use as a hospital tank/maternity ward, but I'm afraid it won't be enough. I'm using established water from my 75 gallon, but I have to bring the ph to 7.0 first since it is at 8.4 for my oscars. Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to keep an eye on my nitrites! As far as my boyfriend goes, yes it was very sweet. When I asked why so many he said he thought that since they were small that the tank could hold about one per gallon! He didn't know they were live bering fish or that they would breed like they do.

I wish you luck! I'm not sure if I'll keep my platys due to that fact sadly :(
The fry are in a 1.5 gallon as of now so you're doing better than me!

Back
Top Bottom