29 gallon with beginning signs of ich.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lochnessholly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here are the details:
29 gallon planted
All levels are normal with the exception of high pH (which I'm working on.)
Temp runs about 82.

I have 5 platys (currently showing spots) 5 neon tetras (added yesterday before I noticed) and albino bn pleco.

My husband went ans bought ich medication but I don't want to treat the whole tank with that if necessary. I do not have a quarantine tank. What should I do?

Here are the details:
29 gallon planted
All levels are normal with the exception of high pH (which I'm working on.)
Temp runs about 82.

I have 5 platys (currently showing spots) 5 neon tetras (added yesterday before I noticed) and albino bn pleco.

My husband went ans bought ich medication but I don't want to treat the whole tank with that if necessary. I do not have a quarantine tank. What should I do?

Increase your temp to 86-88 slowly a degree every 4-6hrs. Add extra airstone for oxygen, pwc change including gravel vac daily or every second day. keep the heat up a week after last visible spot. It will get worse before it gets better. I prefer treating this way as I don't like using meds. Good luck :)

Increase your temp to 86-88 slowly a degree every 4-6hrs. Add extra airstone for oxygen, pwc change including gravel vac daily or every second day. keep the heat up a week after last visible spot. It will get worse before it gets better. I prefer treating this way as I don't like using meds. Good luck :)

I was told I could put aquariu salt in and it would help. Can the pleco handle this?

I was told I could put aquariu salt in and it would help. Can the pleco handle this?

Not too sure, I didn't add it as some of my fish cant handle salt. I have a bnp in my tank as well she did fine without it. Someone else might chime in.

Heat + Salt does wonders. Ich has a short life cycle. First it is free floating, which is the time to kill it. Then it finds the prey to attach itself on (the fish) and it sits there and cannot be touched, until around a day later when it detaches itself and is free floating again to go down in the gravel or somewhere and reproduce by the hundreds. So slowly increase the temp, I think adding one tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5-10 gallons of water should be okay...and that should take care of it. I had Ich and using this method I managed to keep it away for a while, then I had another outbreak and I decided to use API's Super Ick Cure and that cleared it up in 4 days, but lots of you on here would kill me if I suggested using meds to control it so I won't :lol:

I have just successfully cured a nasty ich outbreak with salt and by raising the temp. It does get worse before it gets better so don't panic like I did on day 2 when nothing had changed! It takes a few days. I did have to seperate my pleco as plecos and other scaleless fish do not tolerate salt too well and they really dont tolerate certain meds. Best to put him in another tank temporarily if you can get hold of one and just raise the temp. I raised the temp in my pleco tank to 30 degrees c and that did the trick. But frequent water changes are essential. Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom