3/5 Bettas have frayed fins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why not use melofix? from what I've read it helps bettas?
I just want to verify first before I do yet another wc

Sent from my iPhone 6 128GB SG using Tapatalk

I dunno...there is a ton of conflicting info. Out there on this matter. Fin rot, if in fact that, can be remedied by pristine water and quality diet. Melefix is pretty much useless imho.. it may help very certain situations.. yours I doubt.. keep.the water perfect and feed great food. Aggression and din nipping is/could be a issue as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'll at least use the rest of my melafix as it couldn't hurt since it is medicine. I'll do wcs of 5 gallons everyday from now on and keep my pleco separate.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'll at least use the rest of my melafix as it couldn't hurt since it is medicine. I'll do wcs of 5 gallons everyday from now on and keep my pleco separate.

Ughh... yes.. it could hurt...

How so? What does your info say? I'm honestly curious...

Read.. google "Tea tree oil and betta fish"

Melafix is rumored to negatively effect the labyrinth organs of fish.

I am aware of one experiment in an attempt to test the theory, but it came back inconclusive. Their theory on it was that it's a combination of factors in the water that could combine with the melafix to damage labyrinth organs.

That being said, there are enough reports of it causing problems that I believe that it does. Combine that with the fact that melafix does very little to actually benefit the fish (especially since pristine water does the exact same thing) means to me that it shouldn't be used for labyrinth fish.

Back
Top Bottom