3 dead fish and now ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vixan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Moderately planted tank with 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 20ppm nitrate.

Put a CO2 system in on Tuesday (a diy in a Gatorade bottle). 25% water change on Thursday and introduced a few plants and a pair of gouramis. Saturday I have 2 dead Panda cories and 1 dead cherry barb. Nothing seems to be amiss, plants and fish look visually healthy at this point. Readings are as stated above. Today I see Ich on my rams and two cherry barbs. Were dosing, but is it common for ich to kill before it presents or do I have two issues on my hands? The gouramis have no white spots as of yet.

Were dosing with salt and ich med today. Water change tonight when get off work and a filter change when I get to the petshop to buy a new cartridge.... anything else to do?

50g bowfront
1 angelfish
10 tiger barbs
4 Panda cories
2 German blue rams
2 dwarf gouramis

Don't dose your tank with anything in my opinion. Slowly increase your heat to 86f and let nature do its thing. Especially with rams I'd be resistant to use chemicals. The only time I would replace your filter cartridge was if it was falling apart, so I would just rinse it in your pwc water that you removed from the tank. With ich the more you pwc the better. Also don't forget to clean your substrate to help with any ich on that

Mumma.of.two way

Ich is a parasite so fish can not become immune. It is in the tank now so there is no point isolating the infected unless if makes you feel better.
To treat:
Increase temp slowly to 86-88F
Increase aeration
Increase water changes and gravel vacs
Leave temp up for at least one week after last spot is seen
Slowly decrease temp to normal
You can add a little salt if you like. It can help avoid infection in the sites where the ich leaves the body of the fish. Plenty of clean water helps a avoid this also.
Using Heat to Treat Ich in Freshwater Tropical Fish - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

I had a mild Ich, and I cured it in 8 days, I also lowered my water level to increase the Aeration. If it's in the gills, then it may not be visible.

Back
Top Bottom