4 fish dead in 2 days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smashley09

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a 45 gallon fish tank, with 7 angelfish, (small) and 3 Reticulated loaches.

I had one loach that died yesterday. I removed him and tested the water and the Ammonia looks good, as well as nitrates/nitrites, etc. I have not had a change in the chemistry in the water. I completed a 25% water change last week, and also replaced 2 of the 4 filter pads that I have, and left the remaining media alone.

Today, the other two loaches are dead, and one of my Angel's is dead as well. I retested the water, nothing is different. The tank is reading 74.5 degrees with the heater on. There is no sign of fungus, or other illness physically. The fish are fed frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, emerald entree, as well as a flake.

Any ideas? I would like to keep the remaining Angel's alive! :banghead:

All of them were at 0. I forgot to mention that I have live plants and dose daily with a liquid CO 2. The remaining fish ate today and seem to be in good condition. Still not understanding why.

it's kinda rare to have 0 nitrates in a freshwater tank. how long has the tank been cycled?

The tank has been running since December, fully cycled until end of January. Added in 3 rasboras as testers.they did well. Added in the Angels who were dime size in February. Only one Angel casuality since then, which occured beginning of April. The rasboras were moved out once the Angels seemed stable.

What are you using to test your water? I agree, zero nitrates is practically impossible with 7 angels in a 45g tank. I wouldn't put that many in a 75g even, personally. I'd look into rehoming a few even if they are/were dime size. I would also recommend weekly 50%, or more, water changes instead of the weekly(?) 25% changes you have been doing.

The tank recieves a 50% change once every 4 weeks, 25% weeks 1-3. I test using the strips, and have replaced them once already (because I thought I was getting false readings.)

The strips, like you guessed, are notoriously inaccurate. The most reasonably priced and accurate liquid reagent test kit is the API freshwater test kit. Even if the tank was completely planted I would still expect some level of nitrates. You actually need nitrates for your plants to thrive.

Definitely rehome 2 - 3 angels. I only have three in a 55G. How planted is your tank? Angels enjoy a heavily planted tank - and those also help with keeping levels even. Do you gravel Vac on your water changes? Get a liquid API test kit as soon as possible. What conditioner do you use? Dose with double the conditioner until you get can the API kit.

I think the main problem could be that the angels are growing to big and may be killing off the others for more room since you're over stocked.

Ok folks, I purchased the API Master Test Kit today and followed it to a T, timer and all.
Results are:
0.25 Ammonia
0 Nitrites
0 Nitrates
However, I think I found my solution in this, its the pH level, which tested at 7.6, which is nearly one whole point above where the Angel's should be. So, I have concluded that I need to purchase some pH Down to begin resolving this issue.

Anything you can add would be helpful!
Thanks guys for the info and time!

Your ph is fine. A stable is better than a fluctuating ph. Your ammonia reading is most likely the culprit.

Your ph is fine. A stable is better than a fluctuating ph. Your ammonia reading is most likely the culprit.

Agreed.
Don't buy the pH adjuster, this will create even more issues in your tank. Angels live perfectly fine in different pH levels, including your 7.6
Like meegosh said, for an unknown reason, your tank is not cycled again, which caused a spike on the ammonia,

Ok, so I will leave the pH alone. However, when I do a water change, I have the water pre-treated for 1-2 hours before I begin cleaning. I use the Prime water conditioner and treat appropriately. After the water change is complete, the fish stay at the surface of the tank for a little over 24 hours. It seems as though they are stressed. Any suggestions on making this process easier on them?

Thanks guys!

one last thing...

So one last issue I need some assistance with concerning water changes. I typically have the water treated a minimum of 1-2 hours ahead of time before I begin cleaning. (I sometimes leave the water overnight before using it.) I treat with Prime water conditioner and initially the fish seem fine. After a few hours or so, the fish are at the surface of the water and seem stressed. They typically are not interested in food, and stay at the top for about a full day. Then they return to the mid and lower levels and seem fine. Any ideas on how to make them less stressed?

Thanks guys!

There are a number of factors that are possible:

1. bucket is leaching something into the water. A Food grade bucket should be used for any water for fish.
2. Prime works immediately. Mix an amount of Prime that is for the WHOLE tank, not just for the water you are treating in a water jug and shake and pour. Then pour your water in your tank, either aged or not.
3. Water quality. Your fish should not be hanging around the top after a water change. If you are on city water, you can ask for a water analysis of your water. If you are on well water, your water could be very hard and full of other chemicals that are affecting your fish.
4. Carbon. If you suspect it is your water, you may need to have your water go through a filter. Check out my water change system:

Many Hats of Me: Aquarium Water Change System

Back
Top Bottom