7.5" ClownLoach needs Help Fast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharkFins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 30 gallon tank recently came down with ich again, But this time it really hit hard.

I lost my two freshwater catsharks (blackfinned sharks, aka little catfish) and my 2" clownloch just passed away.

My biggest loach, Big Chubbs, is 7.5-8 " strong, and came with the tank. He is a trooper. But now he needs help.

He shows no signs of tail rot, But is swimming vertically, struggling to stay horizontal. And somtimes he even is swiming vertical at a diagonal line, with his belly showing. Sometimes it is like he looses energy to try and stay horizontal. But he certainly tries. His bottom fins are cloudy. He had ich on his head, and all over his tail fins, if that helps.

What is wrong with him?

I really do not want to loose this fish.. Help, Please.

He is normally kept in a 30 gallon tank, Exact water levels, I do not know. I have test strips I use, and it is based on colors. Which all always say normal levels..?

My 30 gallon tank recently came down with ich again, But this time it really hit hard.

I lost my two freshwater catsharks (blackfinned sharks, aka little catfish) and my 2" clownloch just passed away.

My biggest loach, Big Chubbs, is 7.5-8 " strong, and came with the tank. He is a trooper. But now he needs help.

He shows no signs of tail rot, But is swimming vertically, struggling to stay horizontal. And somtimes he even is swiming vertical at a diagonal line, with his belly showing. His bottom fins are cloudy. He had ich on his head, and all over his tail fins, if that helps.

What is wrong with him?

I really do not want to loose this fish.. Help, Please.

Well the tank is wayyyyyyy to small first of all. Up the temp to 84 and add salt. Get some ich meds.

Well first of all clown loaches are way too big for a 30 and should be in no less than a 75. First treat the ich but there must be some serious ammonia buildup in the tank so he is most likely poisoned from all of the amonia first do about. 50% water change dose ich medication and monitor the situation. You will have to rehome him after you get him better or upgrade to at least a 75. Hope this helps.

Well the tank is wayyyyyyy to small first of all. Up the temp to 84 and add salt. Get some ich meds.

Too small for the sharks, Yes, But the clownloach?

He has been in this tank for the past few years, We bought the tank, and he and a pleco that is right under a foot came with.

I have put some coppersafe in the bucket the loach is currently in. But he is not doing well at all.. just floating vertically. But im sitting here by the bucket, watching his gills move. so I know he is trying.

Too small for the sharks, Yes, But the clownloach?

He has been in this tank for the past few years, We bought the tank, and he and a pleco that is right under a foot came with.

I have put some coppersafe in the bucket the loach is currently in. But he is not doing well at all.. just floating vertically. But im sitting here by the bucket, watching his gills move. so I know he is trying.

Yes. The tank is wayyyyyyyyyuyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to small for the clown loach. Listen to dallas and it may survive

Im currently working on doing a 90% water change.

Ive got the water down just above my rock level. And Im scrubbing the walls with the scrub-brush that came with the tank. I plan on re-filling the water, and putting in the de-chlorinator. Like usual. Then putting in the coppersafe for the big tank... Any other liquid I should put in to inhance the loach's chances?

Wow with a Pleco about a foot in there as well it's a wonder he has survived the sky high ammonia that's probably built up in the tank. Do what I said and he might survive. By the way please rehome all of these fish after they are at full health and get some fish suitable for your tank. Also get the API freshwater master test kit as strips are highly inaccurate.

Wow with a Pleco about a foot in there as well it's a wonder he has survived the sky high ammonia that's probably built up in the tank. Do what I said and he might survive. By the way please rehome all of these fish after they are at full health and get some fish suitable for your tank. Also get the API freshwater master test kit as strips are highly inaccurate.

I will rehome both. The pleco's are fine. (The one under a foot, and the baby, who is a little over 2.5 inches)

Its just the loach.

If I had known they were in a tank too small, I would have bought another. They came with the tank, and I figured this woman knew her stuff.

90% water change. Refil it, dechlorinate, put coppersafe in. Anything else?

I will rehome both. The pleco's are fine. (The one under a foot, and the baby, who is a little over 2.5 inches)

Its just the loach.

If I had known they were in a tank too small, I would have bought another. They came with the tank, and I figured this woman knew her stuff.

90% water change. Refil it, dechlorinate, put coppersafe in. Anything else?

Can I have a picture of the pleco? I'm assuming its a common, in which case you better be upgrading to a 200 gal sometime soon.

Can I have a picture of the pleco? I'm assuming its a common, in which case you better be upgrading to a 200 gal sometime soon.

It's a common, yes. One moment, Hes in a bucket with the others, tank is getting re-done.

This is chicane, These were taken when I first got the tank set up. He is about two inches longer now.

zvbzwl.jpg

2rz8iti.jpg

Chicane:

The big pleco:

Sorry for large images ( These were taken with the IPod when I first got the tank set up. He is about two inches bigger now.)

2rz8iti.jpg

zvbzwl.jpg

Sorry for your loss. I wish I saw this before because salt and clownloaches is a nono. And ich meds need to be 1/2 dose for them. They are very very sensitive fish when it comes to meds. And yes the 30 is way too small for the loach and the common pleco.

You should do the pleco a favor and rehome it. A common pleco is for ponds and tanks that are atleast 3 feet wide and 6 feet long. Plecos get well over 24inches. A 30g isnt suitable for a 1ft long pleco. Whats the width on your tank?

You should do the pleco a favor and rehome it. A common pleco is for ponds and tanks that are atleast 3 feet wide and 6 feet long. Plecos get well over 24inches. A 30g isnt suitable for a 1ft long pleco. Whats the width on your tank?

I have a nice custom tank for him to go in that I will be setting up tomorrow. A 395 gallon tank, with live plants instead of artificial this time.

Kind of a bummer, I was hoping Big Chubbs (The Loach) would pull through. He has always been a trooper, this was his 8th year strong. But thanks to faulty test strips, I had no idea how bad the ammonia was.

And the tank Is about 3 feet long, the 30 gallon. and about 1.5 feet thick. The pleco and loach stayed in this tank for 8 years, and got to the sizes they are now. And were going to be put in the 395 gallon tank after the loachs recovery. But now I guess it will just be the plecos and tetras.

**Edit**

When I pulled the loach out, He was a very sticky and slimey, Anyone know anything about that? It was not his original slime coat, that I know. This was like.. A gunky slime.

Last edited:
Someone should have mentioned and it should have stated in the directions of the medication that it may be dangerous to use with scaleless fish. Loaches and other catfish have skin instead of scales which makes them more sensitive to medication and especially copper. Sorry for your loss, a lot of research in ich treatments would do well for you. There are a ton of threads discussing different techniques, the temp raising would be a natural and safe way to treat the illness if you have fish that can handle higher temps

Back
Top Bottom