7 year old pleco help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spencer1044

Aquarium Advice Freak
He is 7 years old all of his fins are rotting and he doesn't move anymore or eat. He has long white marks at the base of his dorsal fin. What could this be.

Hey it sounds like he may have a case of fin and tail rot. I Am battling that with my goldfish idk how to treat it. Your pleco looks fairlu5healthy besides the fins. My pleco looks close to death and he is only a year old.

I believe I added too much seachem prime but I'm treating him with melafix hopefully this will help he's barely breathing

I have used melafix before it will kill them more than help them ??? I talked to a petsmart employee and ge said there is a certain way you have to use it not what is on the back as directions. But anyway I hope it helps him unfortunately I have killed all my fish that have been treated with that. Thank goodness it was very few fish but still.

Fin rot is columnaris.
The pleco looks like it has columnaris.
They say antibiotics.
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention

Sometimes it just happen from old age.
I lost my swordtails that were 4 years old to this years ago.
I had not introduced a new fish to my fish for 2 years before ...
Besides the antibiotics ,dips or baths may help while the case is still mostly external.
It is bacterial in nature and quickly or slowly with become an internal issue that can cause death, and is contagious to other tank mates.

He is currently separated from the main tank I lost a 6 year old molly to this but I had the melafix on hand so I thought I would give it a shot

Back
Top Bottom