a disturbing trend...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

female DG with "droopy butt"

heya all...another fish with almost no symptoms acting sickly in yet another tank....

One of my two female DGs has been hanging out in one corner of the tank, with a "droopy butt". her tail just kinda....sags.

I noticed a patchy brown spot on her caudal area right where her tail connects. Other than that, she looks fine...like Hermoine and Big Boi.

What is affecting my fish???? they have no symptoms visible and keep dying off!

BTW Big Boi is still alive, but not improving much.

All this started with my molly.

She was hugely pregnant, and started to slow down quite a bit. I was under the impression she was about to birth her fry, and didn't think much of it. For 3 days, she looked normal, colors beautiful, eating, but very lethargic. Laying on the bottom of the tank or at the surface, alone. Then I noticed she started to decline. She still looked great, but was laying on her side.

I moved her to quarentine. The next morning she was gone. Even when I buried her, she looked pretty healthy, except she was dead.

Then Big Boi, my paradise fish, started showing similar symptoms...in a different tank!

He has been in QT 6 days now and is hardly improving. I started with treating aggressively for Ich, but one of his eyes "popped", so i cleaned out the meds and switched to antibiotics.

Over the past two days, I have noticed 2 Dwarf Gouriamis, in two different tanks, starting to do the same things! they look normal, but are sluggish, hanging out either on the substrate or at the surface. acting ill.

it started with a molly, but whatever it is, it is wrecking havoc on my labrynth fish.

any clues here would be really appreciated. I hate the idea of losing more fish!

Fishy, not sure exactly how help I can be here, but I'll try. Bob Fenner (if you don't know of him, google the name :) ) has been suggesting recently about the decline of the Gouramis. They are imported from the Middle East (somewhere there, not sure exactly where) and often become sick "seasonally". This is due to the way they were bred. Sounds kind of weird, but if you ever read the FAQ's ont he WWM website, it seems to be becoming a "disturbing trend" of the Colisa sp. (gouramis).

One of his posts suggest dosing the tank with Furan for 10 days. Furan is readily availble. It may be worth a try.

Btw, also going to merge your two posts together to keep things streamlined. ;)

Hope this helps some... sorry to hear of your sick fish.

Back
Top Bottom