A few problems in my wife's tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beeritself

Aquarium Advice Activist
Amongst my tanks is a 60g freshwater tank with 2 red spotted severum, a rio indiria severum, 2 EBJDs and 2 clown loaches. All water Paramus are fine - ph 7.4 (has always run this); ammonia, nitrates and nitrites all at 0. The larger EBJD hasn't eaten in a few days and is presenting signs of flukes (I believe). He looks like he's spitting and he's scratching his gills against rocks. His skin is also a little cloudy. I have been treating with Prazipro, with no improvement. Looking for guidance on that as well as another issue. 2nd issue is with a red spotted severum. It's like she has bad eyesight and a mouth issue. She can't open her mouth all the way to secure food (bloodworm) and she strikes to eat, but comes up short of the food. I'm fearing she may starve herself. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks

On the 1st issue, I would guess (with limited knowledge) that it has a fungal disease. My wife - being in the medical profession - does most of the tank treatment, but we like Pimafix for fungals. It works most of the time. If not, you can try something stronger.
On the 2nd issue: I have a blood parrot that does the same thing. It has a slightly deformed mouth that it can't close all the way. It's growing, but very slowly, so I know it isn't starving. It has learned to come to my fingers at feeding time. I use frozen cubes just for it (SFBB Emerald Entree and Omega One Freshwater Community Formula) in morning and evening. Once the cube thaws in my fingers, it's able to such in small pieces and keep them in long enough to swallow them.

Thanks for the prompt response. I'm thinking fungal well. I'll try that med if I don't see improvement by the end of the weekend. I believe my heater has crapped out, so that may contribute to the issue. I'll get that replaced tomorrow. Second issue - I'm also a medical professional and I would compare this fish's mouth to that of a stroke patient. It went from regular mouth to deformed over a period of a week or so, that's what has me worried; it was not from the get-go. I'll try hand feeding next time and see if I can train her like that.

I've had fish swim into the tank sides and damage their mouths. My parrot came that way, I just was too inattentive to notice when I got it. Usually, when my fish damaged their mouths, it healed over time. If it's too badly damaged, it may need to be euthanized. I would suppose that - like humans - an injury combined with poor nutrition from said injury would lower the effectiveness of the immune system. They actually make penicillin for fish. It's called Fish-Pen. Not saying you need it. Just an FYI if it comes to that.

On the 1st issue, I would guess (with limited knowledge) that it has a fungal disease.
No, fish do not simply get fungus unless there is a wound.
Are there any fish fighthing?
Any other symptoms, such as a bacterial disease or another parasite?
It does sound like gill flukes, in which case praziquentel was the correct medicine. Sorry i dont know whats wrong yet, maybe a video would help?

No injuries in the tank and no fighting. They're pretty peaceful. I'll try to get a video of it, but it's really unpredictable when he'll do it. The confusing thing is, nothing new has been introduced to the tank in several months. I perform water changes (30%-50%) at least weekly and the large EBJD is the only one showing any signs.

EBJD?
Fungus can only grow at the site of an injury or dead tail skin, it does not simply "grow" on fish, at least not for long (maybe if its swarming around in the water column it could stick to a fish, but fish's slime coat is naturally mould/.fungus resistant)
Hence my question is there a site of an injury
Sounds bacterial, once there is bacteria, fungus follows. Please do not be like most people and assume "well it could be either" no no no its always bacteria, learned that from other members on diffrent sites and it makes sense and holds true, tho some tail fins can get minor bacteria and it sure looks like and responds to the "anti-fungals" That does not mean that there has to be bacteria to eat the dead skin first, otherwise our wounds would become infected with fungus, when its always bacteria. The fungus simply eats the leftover dead tissue as part of the natural breakdown process........
Get antibiotic here Antibiotic Fish Flake Food

Thanks for the info, there is no injury site. I'll check out that food. Update - my gold Severums are now constantly at the top of the tank with their mouths up, looks like trying to breathe. I can't figure this out. I'll change the water again, but all Params are normal at this time. I also bumped up the temp

60 gallons is way too small for all of those fish except the EBJD. It sounds like it could be spironucleus, try soaking their food in a 3% epsom salt solution or treating with metronidazol.

Back
Top Bottom