Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2003, 02:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
i had 2 kill my fish so i put it in the freezer.
Something about that just does not sound really sweet, and better for the fish. Actually, I have put down over 5 fish. I put them all in a bucket of ice water, and they were out real fast

Old 07-16-2003, 01:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Wait wait wait....vic...did you say you just put your fish in some tap water and threw them in the freezer until they were dead? Some part of this doesn't sound right? That's gotta be one of the slowest ways to kill a fish aside from just letting it die on it's own. Am I misunderstanding you or are you just not to keen on better ways to put down a fish? Especially how you said you had "2 kill my fish," like no big deal...c'mon

Old 07-16-2003, 01:33 PM   #13

Putting a fish in some water, then setting it in the frezer is ONE of many accepted ways of euthaizing fish. The theory goes that the fishes metabolism just slows down painlessly and they eventually "go to sleep" and pass away.

To all on this thread:

Even if a method sounds inhumane to you, let's try not to be judgemental of others. This board is supposed to be friendly, lets just keep it that way, please.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:34 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
A faster way of doing it would be to prepair some ice water in a bowl.

Put some tap water in a bowl and then add a fair amount of ice cubes.

Get the water to a point where its down in the 40's range and add the fish that is needing to be 'put to sleep'

Within 1 minute the fish will be motionless.

Its amazing how fast the fish will go.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 08:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, fishfreek, that is the method I used. When I was sure that he was completely unconcious, I put him in the freezer just to make sure he would die. I really doubt he felt a thing a minute after I put him in the water with the icecubes.
Again, thanks for the support from everyone on this thread. I hope some people have learned something from it.

Tags
euthanasia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com