A twisted question, perhaps, but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosk1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, I apologize in advance if my question offends anyone. As some know from another thread, I have an ich infestation in my 55 gallon right now that I am in the process of heat treating. (I'm just under a week in) Things seemed to be going alright, but I did have a casualty yesterday: the clown loach that I had it the worst didn't make it. That's the background...

I am bringing the dead loach back to the store today (it is 2 weeks since I bought him, and the store has a 2 week return alive or dead for ANY reason policy) to get a refund, with the thought that I would buy another loach later after the ich clears up. After all, I do NOT want to introduce new fish to a tank that is known to have sick fish. ...or do I? That is the question that just occurred to me. Of course, I would NEVER want to introduce fish to bad situation on purpose. Let me make that perfectly clear. But here is my reasoning for even asking this question: If the heat is at 88-89 F, there should be no danger in the ich spreading because any spores that are in the water will die quickly, correct? Therefore, a replacement clown loach should be in no danger, correct? And it occurs to me that this might actually be safer than waiting until after I am done heat treating because: (1) I do not have a qt tank, and (2) clown loaches are supposedly so prone to ich that any new one might have it, but possibly not in a detectable stage yet, and the heat would be good for him. So, again, I would not intentionally subject my fish to something that would be bad for them. But it strikes me that this might actually be good for a new fish, unless I am missing something. But I don't know. Something still just doesn't seem right about the idea. I am not decided, and will not add a new fish unless others here think it is a good idea. So...thoughts? Am I totally off base here, or am I on to something? Maybe now isn't the right time, but maybe the last week of the heat treatment would be good? I don't know...

well let me just say this, recently i have started keeping my tank temps at about 78-80 and when i add new fish i bump the temp up to 86 for about a week. SInce ive been doing this.. for about 3 months, i have had no ich outbreaks whatsoever.

My advice to you is to wait until the ich is gone but leave the heat up when you add youre new loach. accimilate very caerfully so as not to shock the fishwith the temperature change. That's what i would do.. especially if you keep getting the ich from the same store.

That sounds like a great way to do it. The advice I got was to keep the temperature up for a full 2 weeks after the last ich spot is gone. So perhaps toward the middle of that last week would be a decent time to introduce the new fish, and then keep the temp. up for a full week after putting him in would be the way to go.

The problem is that it is going to be very tricky to take a loach that has probably been kept at about 76ºF-77ºF and acclimate him in anything under a day, to temps of 11ºF-13ºF higher without killing him.

greenmaji said:
QT
If you wish to treat all incoming fish for the possiblity of ich its best to do it in QT

of course!!! Then you can take as much time to raise the temp as needed :)

Hold off on the adding any fish. Makes no sense to introduce another variable to a stressed system. Wait until you get your tank back under control then add additional occupants. As mentioned a QT tank can be a tremendous help in keeping a healthy tank if used properly.

Yes i didn't even think because at the moment my old 10 gallon QT tank is housing my Corn snake but that really is the best way to prevent from introducing infections to your tanks and you should quarenteen for at least 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom