ABN fins unhealthy and white fuzz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krogman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Albino bristlenose pleco 1.25" 48 hrs in my tank. Bag acclimation for a couple hours, I have since learned that only 30 min in a closed bag will be good. His counterpart in the bag was dead when they were put in the tank.
Tail fin gone,it was damaged when I got him. Also now a white fuzz growing on his tail. Side fin is now starting to look damaged, slits or cuts. I believed the tail fin to be damage from tiger barbs he was tank mated with at petco, maybe not now.
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-15ppm
Temp-74
PH-7.5
55 gal running for 5 weeks with a complete water change and a move a week ago.
I did a pwc of 25% about 2.5 weeks old did about a 25% pwc Saturday and changed gravel substrate to play sand. I kept some gravel for aesthetics and bb. Rinsed sand for hours. Fake plants, volcano, stump all existed before ABN. pots, driftwood, and anubias are new with ABN. Until Sunday I had a 6" tiger oscar and three 4" Gromneys. They were healthy fish but I wanted to do something different with the tank so I donated them to a good home. I now have three tiger nerite snails, the ABN that survived the bag, and a new ABN 1.25" that was acclimated 45 min ago via a 30 min bag floating. Sunday I also added two pieces of driftwood. And today a piece of driftwood with anubias.
Aquatech 20-40 hob that was given to me. Biofiber never changed since I've had the tank. Changed the mechanical filter with carbon Sunday. Marineland magnum 350 pro canister with dual biowheels- 350 GPH up to 100 gallons. Was running filter sleeve over container with activated carbon for three weeks. Removed that filter and installed micron filter that now looks like it needs changing but holding on just in case. I have put three algae wafers in the tank since Sunday.
When I did water changes I used API stress coat+ and API quick start. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393386318.581449.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393386333.704971.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393386344.942720.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393386355.661759.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393386365.223808.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393386387.952736.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393386420.310413.jpg
First two photos are Sunday when it is on filter output.
Next photos are of this evening.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393390358.861286.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393390371.251294.jpg
Hard to get great pics but now my ABN that I added to my tank 2 hours ago is having a fin problem. His tail fin was normal when I purchased him. Now it is turning white and falling apart.

Well this morning both fish were dead. I removed them both. Tested ammonia and read 0. Didn't have time for rest of tests, had to go to work. I will take some water to lfs to be tested. Guess I'll have to cycle again to work something out.

Fungus maybe? I had a similar experience with some fancy guppies. Damaged dorsal fin, then started growing fuzzy whites stuff then they both died. I

Any suggestions for tank cure of fungus??
I have the snails still-although I have only been able to locate one of the three the last couple days.
I am going to be moving across the hall at my apt in like a week. I am going to do frequent water changes and gravel baca along with testing. After I move I will continue to cycle for a few weeks and then maybe start a fish. Very disappointed in myself for losing the fish. I would really like to find out more of what probably happened just to be knowledgable and prevent it from happening again

It does look like fungus to me in one of the shots as well. Perhaps bacterial as well. All up reading through it just sounded hard yards from the start and problems in the tank at the lfs.

I haven't found fungus to be highly contagious when fish are healthy if that helps.

He died of ammonia and transport stress. I try to get my fish out of the bag as soon as possible. He probably had the fungal infection already.

Thank you everyone. Taking water sample to the lfs to confirm no water issues. Going to get fish somewhere else from now on. And adopt better acclimation practices

While I am no expert and quite new to fish keeping as well, I agree that it came from the LFS. He came home with already damaged fins and then the stress of transport certainly didn't help. I don't think it's anything you did inadequately. I would get your next fish from a different store though. Probably best to wait until after you move and let tank get reestablished after moving it. As far as the fungus you probably don't need to treat the tank. Just keep an eye on items in the tank for the white fuzzy growths. I think it is unlikely that it spread to your whole tank that quickly. From my research fungus more readily affects fish with wounds especially in newly established tanks.

Handy to know on the fungus. I've found that as well that it doesn't seem to really spread. The only time I can think of was it jumping from a female to male Molly (but I blamed the male for that).

Handy to know on the fungus. I've found that as well that it doesn't seem to really spread. The only time I can think of was it jumping from a female to male Molly (but I blamed the male for that).

Ha he didn't use protection.
Great news today, not moving.
Testinf, cleaning, and testing then the lfs is going to honor the other stores warranty! Woo woo
Fish guy (for lack of better title) agreed that it was probably damage from the other store

Back
Top Bottom