About my Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jengirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
we had just the goldfish Goldie can yo guess what colour he is lol? He was very healthy till we got the other goldfish M.J., M.J. Is mostly white with a orange patch and recently got in some black markings so I think he is still developing his colouring if they do that at a young age.

But heres the problem he is a fast fish and he runs after Goldie I've watched it and I'm not sure if its breading behavior or if hes bullying him or her. But Goldie has been loosing some scales and just seems tired at night resting on the bottom of the tank and also seems less buoyant sometimes it goes tail up but it eventually straightens out. Goldies fins are fine no signs or any attack marks just the scales and loss of balance and seems to move the right fin much more then the left.

All night last night I went threw the disease forum but it says nothing about the fin condition. So not sure whats going on. M.J. seems to be loosing more scales but he was always missing some scales since we got him so I think he brought something in to the tank. I'm nervious Pleco might get it any ideas what it is? and how to counteract it? So far pleco seems fine and takes no guff from the other fish. The goldfish tryied to bully him at first but he threw gravel at them cause they went under his petrifyed wood made me laugh.

Could it have been Pleco in a fight or something more serious?

Plecos shouldnt be with goldfish because they'll suck the goldfish slime coating off o them and they need that to be in good health. What size is your tank and what kind of goldfish are they? Also any more inhabitants in the tank. IMO I think it's the pleco

Thank you for your advice. I haven't seen the pleco go after them well besides defending his cave and hes well fed he gets 2 algae waffers a day and pleco is a inch long. The goldfish M.J. Seems to attack Goldie running after it but not sure if its biting it because its gennerally dark there both regular goldfish if I'm not mistaken Goldie seems better its playing in the bubbles could it have been shalk from going from a 10 g tank to a 29g tank?

jengirl said:
Thank you for your advice. I haven't seen the pleco go after them well besides defending his cave and hes well fed he gets 2 algae waffers a day and pleco is a inch long. The goldfish M.J. Seems to attack Goldie running after it but not sure if its biting it because its gennerally dark there both regular goldfish if I'm not mistaken Goldie seems better its playing in the bubbles could it have been shalk from going from a 10 g tank to a 29g tank?

Regular goldfish?? Do you mean comets? They can get to a foot long and if the Pleco is a common it will too. Did you cycle the 29?? What are your Parameters and how long have they been in the new tank?

the new tank we got about 4 weeks ago. We cycled it for about a week before to be sure it was safe. The balances r great my parents check the water. they were feeder goldfish I'm not familiar with goldfish. Pleco is a common but I am prepared to get larger tanks as he gets bigger. I wish pet stores would be honest with people about fish and get proper info on them so people know what there getting into. The pet shop owner told my parents they would all grow to the size of the tank.

But I read threw the forums and saw videos of the size and about the condition that makes there bodys stop growing and the organs keep growing. I don't want him to suffer so as he gets bigger I'll just get him new tank a 55 gallon when he out grows this tank then go from there I spoil my cat and so I wanna spoil Pleco aswell. How long do I have before hes to big for the 29 gallon tank?

wow thank you zparticle for the kind advice I never thought of wording it like that on google

the new tank we got about 4 weeks ago. We cycled it for about a week before to be sure it was safe. The balances r great my parents check the water. they were feeder goldfish I'm not familiar with goldfish. Pleco is a common but I am prepared to get larger tanks as he gets bigger. I wish pet stores would be honest with people about fish and get proper info on them so people know what there getting into. The pet shop owner told my parents they would all grow to the size of the tank.

But I read threw the forums and saw videos of the size and about the condition that makes there bodys stop growing and the organs keep growing. I don't want him to suffer so as he gets bigger I'll just get him new tank a 55 gallon when he out grows this tank then go from there I spoil my cat and so I wanna spoil Pleco aswell. How long do I have before hes to big for the 29 gallon tank?
Its good to know that you are prepared to do what is good for him. :) I also wish pet stores would be more forthcoming about the adult size of fish. Personally, i hate seeing how many common plecos are always available in stores since so many people do not have the right set-up for them. Its great that you are taking care of your though.
I agree that you are taking a risk by putting him with the goldfish because of that slime sucking thing they do. It may be ok when he is young and tiny, but don't count on it always being like that.

I might have to look into something for the goldfish every now and then they tease Pleco I'm nervious it will stress him out and they will even take his food from him.

The saposive aquarium pet store I got Pleco from only had common Plecos there as algae eaters no info on feeding and say it will grow to the size of the tank. They said they can just live on algae its a good thing I've been doing reserch but I find that allot of the things I am reading contradicts its self. I gotta be doing something right cause Pleco comes out of hiding allot in the day and the night sometimes we play hide and seek (he hides and I gotta try to find him lol). He seems to be getting comfortable with me always looking in on him.

Back
Top Bottom