Add my betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmll007

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 10-15 gallon tank (really unsure of how big it is) with:

3 neon tetras
3 zebra danios
1 snail
2 dwarf medium frogs

I will eventually get a cory catfish and the smallest pleco i can find (if possible) and thats my tank stocked. No more.

My question is i recently adopted a friends betta, who lives in a 1 gallon bowl of spring water.

I know my betta deserves a better habitat with a heater, filter, etc in a cycled tank and I want to add him in, but I'm afraid it would be too crowded since all the other fish are so small. i also have a back wall of air bubbles and my betta has been living in such still water for almost a year.

What should i do with him? Keep him separated? or add him to the bunch??? I dont want to shock or stress him, and he is HUGE in size compared to everyone else in the tank.

Bettas are tougher than most people give them credit for. I have happy bettas in community tanks with significant water flow.

You could try adding the betta to your tank and keep an eye on things. Fin nipping would be my biggest concern.

Look for a bristlenose pleco.

Should I watch for fin nipping from my betta or towards my betta? In other words, should I assume my betta will be okay in it's new environment and be more concerned about the other smaller fish? Hate to say it but I am more attached to the betta than the others, although it would be great if everyone got along.... ?

Usually the betta's fins get nipped. The neons and the danios are usually too quick for the betta.

Usually the betta's fins get nipped. The neons and the danios are usually too quick for the betta.

Should I not try then? I don't want the betta to be stressed. Or would he be better off in the community tank with the danios and neons even in spite of possible fin nipping, rather than the lonely 1 gallon bowl?

I have a betta in my tank and he is doing just fine so far. I've got 6 black tetras and they love swimming around him. But I am keeping an eye out cuz first sign of any trouble and ill pull him out of there. He even swims with my shark. Atleast for now lol. I would just use caution and see what happens

Just a side note, cory's do school, so one isn't the greatest idea. Skip the cory.

also, I have a few plastic plants in the tank, as well as a rock with lots of fun areas to swim through. I know the smaller fish love it, but will this be okay for the betta?

If you havent noticed, I really am kind of nervous about putting him in the tank as I know my zebra danios are pretty aggressive.. there are only 3 of them after all, when there should ideally be 5. But I dont want to overstock my tank... I dont want them nipping the bettas fins either.

People say a tank with possible nipping is better than a 1 gallon bowl of spring water with no heater or filter, but I figured Id see everyone elses experience/opinions on here first.

I dont want anyone getting sick or stressed

Well, if you are nervous, then I wouldn't say you should do it. I have a betta that I love like a child, Marlboro, and I know for a fact if I put him in with other fish, he would kill them in a heart beat. Maybe you should consider just getting him a new tank?

I'm really confused, when i ask around, most people suggest zebras mixing with bettas should only be in larger (20+) tanks, with a minimum of 6 zebras to prevent nipping.. otherwise, my bettas fins will be shredded.

Ive also heard they dont like air bubbles or water flow.

But others say just to give it a try, since the betta may actually be okay....

To specify, my tank is an upright hexagon tank, about 10-15 gallons (I am only estimating the size based on other sized tanks), it has gravel in it, a heater, a filter, a bubble wall along one "side", and a few plastic plants (not silk) and a big rock with lots of places to hide. The temp is 75-78 or so

The zebras swim toward the top, and the neons swim toward the bottom corner.. the snail is everywhere and the dwarf frogs dont move too much.

But since the fish currently in there are fast, and the tank isnt roomy length wise; instead more just height wise, does this sound like a recipe for disaster for the betta?

Or do others have experience with their betta getting along nicely in a similar type of environment?

I have mine in filtered tanks with air pumps and they do fine. At first, they are very sluggish and get pushed some, but after a few days they are full of energy. I would say, if you trust your fish, try it. Just make sure you can sit there and watch them for a bit. If it works, then it works. If they are bickering, then remove him. I have a female betta in a hex tank and she works fine with all the guppies. But, bettas differ in personality greatly. All three of mine are completely different from each other.

ok, I will give it a try in the next couple of weeks or so... The third neon and tetra are new, so i'll give them time to adjust before I introduce the betta...

Back
Top Bottom