advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquariumkeeper

Aquarium Advice Regular
as the subject says i would like some advice.
when i walked into petsupermarket a few days ago and went to the fish section(as always) and saw some feeder fish (they were goldfish by the way) and was wondering if i could put some of them into my coldwater tank (15 gallons)
they all look the same in the feeder tank none of them are bigger than each other. so could i put one in
the 15 gallon it is cycled a( month now) i recently put Uno( white cloud mountain minnow) in my 15 gallon to finish the cycling

advice and storys appreciated.......a lot

Please read this
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

If you can return the fish, please do.so and follow these instructions.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

To become successful in this hobby and enjoy your fish you will need a liquid freshwater master kit and a good water conditioners. Many here including myself use and recommend Seachem Prime because it converts ammonia into a safe non toxic form towards your fish for about 24 hours.

Always remember just because your water looks clear doesn't mean everything is perfect.

if you read my thread starter it said THE TANK HAS BEEN RUNNING FOR A MONTH NOW

How did you cycle it? Just because a tank has been up a month, doesn't mean it's been cycled for a month.

What are your exact readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and which test kit are you using?

Are you planning on getting more minnows? They love a school of their own.

Feeder goldfish are notorious for carrying disease because they are not kept as well as other species. Goldfish are also super messy, that's why they advocate 20 gallons for the first, 10 gallons for each after that.

Aquariumkeeper said:
if you read my thread starter it said THE TANK HAS BEEN RUNNING FOR A MONTH NOW

I dont think you read the links. You wrote you cycled your tank by adding bacteria from a bottle correct?

Any minute your bio-filter is going to crash and have sudden spikes of ammonia and nitrItes which may cause you to loose fish.

I upgraded because it was too small. Then I bought some neon tetras (6) one platy and a small suckerfish that grows 1inch. And transferred my white cloud mountain minnow.

You wrote that in one of your other threads. Do you have all of these fish in this 10 gallon tank?

they all are gone died from an ich brake out some time ago....... so sorry i lost my temperi was in pain after getting braces . i have test stripes and all of them say .0 or safe i test once a day and feed 1 time a day ( not on the wkend) and with the goldfish i was wondering how big they get

sorry guys........

they all are gone died from an ich brake out some time ago....... so sorry i lost my temperi was in pain after getting braces . i have test stripes and all of them say .0 or safe i test once a day and feed 1 time a day ( not on the wkend) and with the goldfish i was wondering how big they get

sorry guys........

Sorry to hear about the ich outbreak ... we'll be glad to help.

First off ....going back to your original post .... goldfish, even feeder which I believe are basically common goldfish DO NOT belong in 15 gal tank. Goldfish have very large bio-loads compared to their sizes. The rule AA members routinely give about goldfish are 20gal for the first fish ... 10 gal for each additional ... plus the heavy filtration needed to keep the water pristine. It' contrary to what we see in LFS tanks and what we've grown up with ... the goldfish in a bowl mentality.

Common goldfish really get can get very large and are better suited in a pond or a VERY large tank. In small tanks what happens is although the fish stops growing on the outside ... it's internal organs do grow leading to a fish with stunted growth ... a severe case are fish with crooked spines:nono:.

Are there any other fish you're considering?

oh feeder goldfish are common goldfish (i didnt know that .)anyway i conviced my mum to get a 30 gallon would that hold a feeder or a shubunkin goldfish ( just 1 )???????????????

also i was thinking of having 2 filters ( 1 canister filter and 1 power filter) could that work??

sorry about the questions.

Commons and shubunkins get way too big. They get over a foot. Some shubunkins have gotten much, much larger than that. Get a fancy goldfish, if you want a goldfish.

ok thanks and would orandas work since they grow 5 inches just one ( and the tank would be cold water with a few white clouds) thanxs guys for responding quick

Back
Top Bottom