advice on red gills on danios..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

claudio1

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi all,i'm new to this site and to this hobby as well,i had a 6 g tank with 6 danios for about 3 months,then decided to add 2 mollies(been told it will be ok by a pets @ home shop),after a week doing the normal routine water change,tested the water to find the nitrate levels at 80,but no ammonia nor nitrites,done 50% water change for 3 days but the nitrate would go down to 40 for few hours only...done some research and decided is time to upgrade to a 15 gallon tank,everything went ok for few days but after 3 or 4 days tested the water with nitrates at 40,no ammonia but nitrites at 0.25,done a 20 litre water change on that day,next day tested the water and had nitrates at 20 but ammonia and nitrites at 0.25,done a 25 litres water change for 3 days,now everything is ok nitrates at 20,ammonia at 0 and nitrites at 0 as well...i would like some advice on wether or not this danio has red gills from ammonia poisoning...thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your Danios

Hello claudio...

Your tank is too small. The water isn't clean. If you're going to keep Danios healthy, you'll have to get them a larger tank. 20 gallons (80 liters) is the minimum for this kind of fish.

The larger the tank, the better your chances for keeping a healthy tank. Right now you need to replace half the tank water and do it a couple of times every week. Get a floating plant into the tank. Hornwort is a good one. Just drop individual stems of this plant into the tank water.

B

hello bbradbury.
thanks for replying,can you tell me what fish and how many can i keep in this tank,at the moment i don't have the space for a bigger tank...
thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom