African Cichlids Dying For No Reason

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbirath001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need your help on this one!

Over the last 2 weeks, four of my African cichlids have died individually. The behaviors have been the same. They start to hide in rocks or plants. Then they stop eating. Then they die. My parameters are all where they should be for an African tank. PH 8 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 0. All of the fish are flashing and there is no signs of ich at all. It would of shown up by now too. I have a 60 gallon tank. What do you think guys?

I need your help on this one!

Over the last 2 weeks, four of my African cichlids have died individually. The behaviors have been the same. They start to hide in rocks or plants. Then they stop eating. Then they die. My parameters are all where they should be for an African tank. PH 8 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 0. All of the fish are flashing and there is no signs of ich at all. It would of shown up by now too. I have a 60 gallon tank. What do you think guys?

Umm how long has your tank been set up?
How many fish?
What do you feed?
How often do you change water and gravel vacuum?
What is your filtration?

Please answer all if these

Umm how long has your tank been set up?
How many fish?
What do you feed?
How often do you change water and gravel vacuum?
What is your filtration?

Please answer all if these

It's been set up for around 3 months.
I have about 25-30 1 - 2 inch African cichlids
I do water chances once a week.
Marineland 350 penguin filtration.

It's been set up for around 3 months.
I have about 25-30 1 - 2 inch African cichlids
I do water chances once a week.
Marineland 350 penguin filtration.

Well according to your water readings your tank isnt cycled. Wanna retest and tell us? Can you explain how you clean your tank (water changes, vacuum, filter)

Whatever it is, 25-30 Cichlids in a 60 it is going to spread fast.
While you get it figured out, try dosing with Seachem Paraguard.
It's an all around Med that helps with the basics, and is "generally"
plant/invertebrate friendly, not that you should have those
in with Most Africans. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Well according to your water readings your tank isnt cycled. Wanna retest and tell us? Can you explain how you clean your tank (water changes, vacuum, filter)

Why are you saying that it's not cycled?

In a cycled tank you would have a nitrate reading greater than 0, while ammonia and nitrites should be 0. What kind of testing kit do you use? What % water change a week?

In a cycled tank you would have a nitrate reading greater than 0, while ammonia and nitrites should be 0. What kind of testing kit do you use? What % water change a week?

My NitrAtes fluctuate. Goes up to 5 - 20 then back down to 0. The 0 was my latest test. 25% water change a week. I use the API master test kit.

Whatever it is, 25-30 Cichlids in a 60 it is going to spread fast.
While you get it figured out, try dosing with Seachem Paraguard.
It's an all around Med that helps with the basics, and is "generally"
plant/invertebrate friendly, not that you should have those
in with Most Africans. Good Luck!

Thank you for your input :)

My NitrAtes fluctuate. Goes up to 5 - 20 then back down to 0. The 0 was my latest test. 25% water change a week. I use the API master test kit.

Nitrates shouldn't fluctuate. They should rise steady until water change. If they were at 20 and you did a 25% water change they would read 15. Your using API kit so make sure to shake the heck outta bottle 2 for nitrate test. Even hit it on something a bunch of times to mix it well. When your done shaking, shake some more. It will give you low and odd results if not mixed enough. That bottle is notorious for settling out and giving false readings. Did you add any new fish lately?

Back
Top Bottom